Please split phone service from fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
62 posts Page 6 of 7
by Guest » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:00 pm
dane wrote:Any interest in an Internet+DISH bundle? That's something we have been considering.
Now, it should be internet + streaming service (Directv Now, PlayStation Vue, etc)
by parker_day » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:07 pm
Guest wrote:
dane wrote:Any interest in an Internet+DISH bundle? That's something we have been considering.
Now, it should be internet + streaming service (Directv Now, PlayStation Vue, etc)
Yeah. And Dish owns Sling. A streaming package would be much more attractive.
by kenberland » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:42 am
I use voip.ms and have thought of porting. Voip.ms will forward SMS to my email. Will Sonic do that?

miken wrote:1. Yes! You can port your number back to AT&T if you port it over to Sonic and decide you'd prefer to go back
2. Having both services running simultaneously will depend on how many pairs your house's wiring has available
3. AT&T will usually install a brand new NID for you during installation if one is not present. In some cases, I have seen direct drop to internal wiring setups and although they aren't common, they also are not unheard of
4. We should also find out if you are going to be getting Fusion X2 or Fusion FTTN X2, because the former is regular POTS and the latter is VoIP. If you want to send an e-mail to support@sonic.net with the subject line 'Attn Mike N' with the address you are looking to get service at, I'd be more than happy to take a look for you!
by dzinner » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:41 am
I've never been able to use a phone on my line. Technical support has not been able to help, so I pay for a service I CAN'T use.
by Larns576 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:53 am
I plugged a $10 phone I purchased from Target into the Voice jack of the ONT and voice works for me. Have you tried that? And it doesnt work? Maybe try a different phone as some are incompatible or your ONT is defective.

If you're trying something else other than what I described, you're probably on your own support-wise.
by conandrum » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:54 am
No interest in TV bundles. I want fiber and my copper phone line for the same price as I pay for just DSL (11down-1up, 65$) right now. Pretty please. I have been waiting so patiently.
by Steve » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:16 pm
Guest wrote:
mfeemster wrote:I don't use the phone service and don't plan to. In this age of mobile phones, I would guess most people are like me.
Only people who are between the ages of 15 and 29. The total number of people in the US who have no need for a landline is probably closer to 50%. There is a still market for it. The last set of data came out in 2013 and the number was more like 41%. I would guess another 8-10% would not want to have their landline, like you.
VOIP is not a "landline." I am way over 29 and have no use for the bundled VOIP telephone service. BTW, I have a landline (POTS).

And I also vote for the un-bundling to save from paying those taxes.
by Larns576 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:39 pm
Steve wrote: VOIP is not a "landline." I am way over 29 and have no use for the bundled VOIP telephone service. BTW, I have a landline (POTS).

And I also vote for the un-bundling to save from paying those taxes.
How do you know fiber price won't increase if the VOIP isnt bundled? You assume it won't, but the bundle is what keeps the fiber price as it is now. Sonic gains revenue from those taxes and if that revenue isn't there, guess what? Fiber price has to go up to make up the difference.

ATT doesn't bundle VOIP with their fiber and look at their prices. It's almost 2x Sonic's. Everyone needs a certain amount of revenue to be profitable. It doesn't grow on trees.

Just be happy you have Sonic fiber, or any FTTH at all. I'm sure many would love to pay the $75/mo for Sonic fiber.

If you wanna save a few dollars, return the rental router and use your own.

Just close this thread already. It's pointless. If someone isn't happy with what is offered, don't buy it. If a car is sold with ABS installed, you don't ask the dealer to remove it and sell it to you for less. It is what it is. Buy it or leave it.
by rick Y » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:59 pm
I am in agreement with what most people said here. Unbundle the phone line. The phone equipment rental and taxes are $20 a month. The phone line doesn't even work for me. I would be ok with paying a little more per month to support the internet cost but $20 a month seems unreasonable to me for a service that I don't use and doesn't work if I wanted to use it.

This thread is four years old. Clearly this is an issue for customers but yet nothing has changed....
by Larns576 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:47 pm
How do you know the internet fee won't cost $20 or $30 more if it was unbundled? If Sonic were no longer a telco, wouldn't the lost income from fees and lost privileges for not being a telco need to be made up somewhere? Welcome to higher internet fees and +$20 probably isn't going to cover it.

Just be happy that you have unlimited 1Gbps fiber for $60 or $70. If you are really that unhappy with what you get for that price, there's always ATT or Comcast, and they don't bundle VOIP.
62 posts Page 6 of 7