Please split phone service from fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
62 posts Page 1 of 7
by mfeemster » Mon May 30, 2016 1:29 pm
I have gigabit fiber in SF and love it, so thank you Sonic!

However, the $40 advertised price is slightly misleading. The actual price with taxes is over $50. What's upsetting about this is the taxes are not on the actual internet service, rather they are on the bundled phone service. I don't use the phone service and don't plan to. In this age of mobile phones, I would guess most people are like me.

I think the idea of bundling a service most people don't use which increases the price 25% and makes Sonic no additional money (it's all taxes) makes zero sense. It just makes the product that much less competitive.

You should optionally include the phone service if a user requests it, but a 25% price increase should not be forced on people who don't even use the service.

Is there any plan to split these two out?
by crpgrndr » Mon May 30, 2016 2:32 pm
I strongly agree with this suggestion. It is infuriating that I have to pay an additional $10-15/mo on taxes for phone service I don't want and have no plans of ever using. If I could drop it I would. What does Sonic gain by forcing this bundle on us?
by Guest » Mon May 30, 2016 4:09 pm
mfeemster wrote:I don't use the phone service and don't plan to. In this age of mobile phones, I would guess most people are like me.
Only people who are between the ages of 15 and 29. The total number of people in the US who have no need for a landline is probably closer to 50%. There is a still market for it. The last set of data came out in 2013 and the number was more like 41%. I would guess another 8-10% would not want to have their landline, like you.
by dane » Mon May 30, 2016 6:09 pm
Any interest in an Internet+DISH bundle? That's something we have been considering.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ggladsto » Mon May 30, 2016 10:14 pm
dane wrote:Any interest in an Internet+DISH bundle? That's something we have been considering.
We currently have Comcast Cable TV (@$139/mo with no premium channels), plus Sonic DSL (@17mbit). We have Netflix and Amazon Prime that we stream via our DSL- but when kids are on youtube, a parent is VNC'ing to work and the other parent just wants to watch TV, the DSL bandwidth starts to suck and someone has to choose the cable.

To me the *whole point* of a gigabit fiber upgrade will be to ditch the dedicated TV service and do everything with my internet connection. (I am *far* beyond the 15-29 demographic mentioned in an earlier post.)
by andsonic » Tue May 31, 2016 10:15 am
My understanding is (from several years back) that by providing phone service, Sonic can call itself a Telecom. That gives them access to phone central offices, and the right to provide service over phone lines.

In other words, bundling phone service gives them the access to compete with the AT&T's of the world. It's a regulatory thing.

Although it's a little frustrating to pay for cell service too, the considerable savings I've gotten from Sonic's product is worth the cost in additional phone levies.
by tvebac » Tue May 31, 2016 11:14 am
Wouldn't it still be a Telecom company if they are offering phone service without it being mandatory? We all know that AT&T offers internet without forcing a land-line on their customers. Not that I want to promote AT&T, but this puts Sonic at a disadvantage to reach potential customers.

I think Sonic has a lot of good going for them and I would gladly pay the $40 (vs AT&T's $20-25), but getting taxed $12.94 (SF) in addition is too much and frustrating for a service not needed or wanted.

I had to dig to find out how much taxes and fees are. Sonic never makes it clear when ordering from their homepage. That's very deceptive and I expected better from them.
by Guest » Tue May 31, 2016 1:01 pm
My understanding is (from several years back) that by providing phone service, Sonic can call itself a Teleco
I totally agree, the subscriber count is probably required to maintain CLEC status.

I would be totally fine if they raised the price to $55/month but drop the required voice bundle. It just feels weird to pay for service that one doesn't need just to keep the FCC filing minimums. There must be a way to keep the licensing without voice subscriber numbers on the books (the on the books is so true as I'm sure nobody is using it)
by mfeemster » Tue May 31, 2016 5:20 pm
Thanks for the replies, especially Dane.
dane wrote:Any interest in an Internet+DISH bundle? That's something we have been considering.
I am only interested in the fiber internet service, it works great so I don't have a need for anything else. I would really just like to be able to buy it without having to get taxed on unused phone service as well.

Is what others are saying here true, that you must bundle phone service? Getting info on that would help clarify things.

Last, regarding the statistics of who uses land lines, those are national stats. I'm guessing the stats for SF would be different. Regardless, whether they are correct or not, we should get the choice whether we need the landline phone service or not, especially since it increases the cost 25%.

Thanks all.
by Guest » Tue May 31, 2016 5:52 pm
andsonic wrote:Although it's a little frustrating to pay for cell service too, the considerable savings I've gotten from Sonic's product is worth the cost in additional phone levies.
We use our land line a lot and our cell is T-Mobile prepaid. Wife and I do minimal stuff on our phones and we have no data plan. Pretty cheap for our usage: less than $20/year.
62 posts Page 1 of 7