Petaluma Residential Gigabit

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
31 posts Page 1 of 4
by Guest » Mon May 16, 2016 9:19 am
Are there any plans for a residential rollout of gigabit in Petaluma? I found the Sonic website to be incredibly vague in terms of any sort of future plan. I know that some businesses on the north side of town are already on Sonic Gigabit, but is everyone else going to have to wait for Xfinity Gigabit?
by dane » Mon May 16, 2016 11:14 am
Petaluma is one of the markets we are evaluating for Fusion Fiber service. When we reach the point where we're ready for pre-orders in new markets, we will certainly announce it!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Mon May 16, 2016 11:45 am
dane wrote:Petaluma is one of the markets we are evaluating for Fusion Fiber service. When we reach the point where we're ready for pre-orders in new markets, we will certainly announce it!
Darn, same answer as 5 years ago... I'll check again in another 5 years I suppose.
by Lonnie » Fri May 20, 2016 3:48 pm
+1 for this topic. My Fusion service is slowish with intermittent outages due to the length of the run from the main node... but I'm willing to stick with Sonic so long as there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I'd love some more info on how we can get involved and help expedite the build-out of fiber here in Petaluma.

Aside: I know there are TONS of residential/apartment building projects underway here in town. Seems worthwhile to time some infrastructure to serve the anticipated new residents.
by tikvah » Mon May 23, 2016 4:35 pm
What's "Sonic Gigabit"? I'm on the North side of Petaluma. If sometime like that becomes available, would I be notified? Or do I just have to hope I see it posted here?
by jpcdsl » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:12 pm
Resurrecting an old topic. I live on the east side of Petaluma, I am currently a Sonic FTTN customer and would love to see the Gigabit Fiber in my area.

Thank you!
by dane » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:44 pm
We are focused on the regions we have the most customers, so that keeps us working in SF for some time; nearly 30% of Sonic members live in SF.

But we will be continuing our push to bring fiber to everyone we can, of course prioritized based on density of current members as well as feasibility of construction. So, please spread the word about our mission, the more members Sonic has, the further we can bring gigabit fiber!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tikvah » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:24 pm
dane wrote:We are focused on the regions we have the most customers, so that keeps us working in SF for some time; nearly 30% of Sonic members live in SF.

But we will be continuing our push to bring fiber to everyone we can, of course prioritized based on density of current members as well as feasibility of construction. So, please spread the word about our mission, the more members Sonic has, the further we can bring gigabit fiber!
Hi Dane, I understand that. But could you please give us some overview for how the "bring fiber to everyone" project is going? Do you have an estimate for different areas? I'm also in Petaluma...do you think it's possible within the next 2 years? 5? 10? Or is it just not on your radar at all?

I've been promoting Sonic for years but I still don't know where the members live. This is the first I've heard any stats...that 30% are in SF. I thought most were in Sonoma County...

Thanks.
by dane » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:26 pm
tikvah wrote:
dane wrote:We are focused on the regions we have the most customers, so that keeps us working in SF for some time; nearly 30% of Sonic members live in SF.

Hi Dane, I understand that. But could you please give us some overview for how the "bring fiber to everyone" project is going? Do you have an estimate for different areas? I'm also in Petaluma...do you think it's possible within the next 2 years? 5? 10? Or is it just not on your radar at all?

I've been promoting Sonic for years but I still don't know where the members live. This is the first I've heard any stats...that 30% are in SF. I thought most were in Sonoma County...

Thanks.
In general, we're making good overall progress. Today 10% of Sonic's residential customers are gigabit fiber connected, and that percentage is growing. We're building, splicing and installing new fiber just as fast as we can, across a growing region, and over the last 12 months, our reach has expanded over 10-fold from where we were a year ago.

Petaluma is on our radar, as are a number of other communities around the Bay Area where we have strong membership numbers. I can't project when, but I will say that we're working way, way faster every month. Uptake where we build fiber is critical in getting us further, as is overall membership, so I really appreciate your support as we pursue our mission to build a better internet access product!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jpcdsl » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:24 pm
Thank your for your reply Dane!

I will keep watching this space and tweets for news :) Are those the best place to learn about new deployments?

Also regarding referrals: I've been referring many folks who signed up for Sonic Fusion and keep doing that any time is comes up ;)

Cheers,
31 posts Page 1 of 4