Is Sonic testing backyard poles in San Francisco?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
18 posts Page 1 of 2
by Ruez » Wed May 11, 2016 9:55 pm
Saw a mention of this on a previous thread. Can anyone give me an update? I am stuck on an E/W street in the Richmond.
by joe34543 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:22 pm
Dane, the CEO, said they're going to test running fiber for backyard utility poles in the Inner Sunset but doesn't have a timeline.

What I don't really get is why Sonic doesn't test first in the Richmond where they already laid down the fiber.
by Ruez » Fri May 13, 2016 8:33 pm
I think they've laid down fiber in the Sunset, as well. In fact, I think it was laid down there first.
by Joe234456 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:41 pm
Outer Sunset yes, but not Inner sunset.
by Ruez » Sun May 15, 2016 12:07 pm
Oh, ok.
by dane » Mon May 16, 2016 11:17 am
We have included some back-of-lot pole work in the Inner Sunset engineering, and if that goes well, we'll have an opportunity to consider that style of deployment in other areas such as the Richmond.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest354345 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:32 pm
dane wrote:We have included some back-of-lot pole work in the Inner Sunset engineering, and if that goes well, we'll have an opportunity to consider that style of deployment in other areas such as the Richmond.
Thanks for replying Dane.

What are some of the specific things that Sonic is looking for in the Inner Sunset deployment to determine if backyard utility pole streets are feasible?

Could there be a chance that Sonic Fiber never comes to backyard utility pole streets in the Richmond/Sunset?
by dane » Tue May 17, 2016 2:01 pm
Guest354345 wrote:
dane wrote:We have included some back-of-lot pole work in the Inner Sunset engineering, and if that goes well, we'll have an opportunity to consider that style of deployment in other areas such as the Richmond.

What are some of the specific things that Sonic is looking for in the Inner Sunset deployment to determine if backyard utility pole streets are feasible?

Could there be a chance that Sonic Fiber never comes to backyard utility pole streets in the Richmond/Sunset?
We'll be looking at accessibility, cost and general deployment and maintenance concerns. Back-of-lot poles are different than those on the sidewalk, where we can simply double-park a bucket truck and service the terminals and strand. We've got to deal instead with ladders, and with fences, and neighbors. We're hopeful, but need to see what challenges come up.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Joe334543 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:19 pm
dane wrote:
Guest354345 wrote:

We'll be looking at accessibility, cost and general deployment and maintenance concerns. Back-of-lot poles are different than those on the sidewalk, where we can simply double-park a bucket truck and service the terminals and strand. We've got to deal instead with ladders, and with fences, and neighbors. We're hopeful, but need to see what challenges come up.
Thanks. I'm hopeful too. It might help that Sonic is a lot more loved than Comcast so neighbors should cooperate more.
by Ruez » Wed May 18, 2016 12:25 am
Oh pretty please Dane - try this out at Clement at 38th (we've discussed before) ;). I have a whole stack of Sonic fliers already at my house to paper the neighborhood!
18 posts Page 1 of 2