Comtrend and static ip's

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by jason.lee » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:52 pm
I just signed up for Fusion and got the Comtrend 5631. I was thinking of exposing a development server with one of the static ip's and having my main internet connection on another.

Right now I have a comcast (dumping them once I get all this working) dynamic ip that is nat'd via an airport express. My private network is 10.0.1.*. I'd still like to keep my 10 network with the comtrend and continue using my airport for dhcp and firewall. I've been playing around with the comtrend and searched around quite a bit and I haven't really seen anyone trying for this configuration.

I've managed to setup bridging on the comtrend and have been testing out the static ip with my dev box. However, this requires me to setup all the firewalling on the dev box and I'd rather push all that stuff out to the router(s) level. But, I know at least the bridge part is working.

So my question is how to connect the virtual interfaces to a port map and have it all magically work. Ideally I would like something like [public ip] <--> [airport] <--> [private internal ip] - this is basically what I have now. And to top it off, on the dev box (it's a mac mini) I have vmware hosting a centos vm. The vm is on my same private network and ultimately, the vm ip is what I'd like to expose on port 80.

I'll keep looking and digging, but wanted to know if anyone else had tried something similar and gotten it to work.

Thanks,

- jason
by wa2ibm » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:29 pm
Jason:

I too have a Comtrend 5631. It took me a while to figure out how to set it up in a similar fashion as you want. I'm using the Comtrend in bridged mode and a separate router to do the private network, etc., much like you want to use your Airport router.

What I did in the port mapping was something like this:

Default group: USB, eth0, ENET1, ENET2, ENET3.
ADSL2 group: ENET4, nas_0_0_35

This effectively isolates the ADSL2+ modem from the rest of the internal devices of the Comtrend.

LAN port 4 (ENET4) now becomes the output of the ADSL2+ modem (nas_0_0_35) and will pass through the public IP address(s) from Sonic. I connected this port to the WAN port on my own router which handles NAT and firewall for my private LAN.

I then connected one of the private LAN ports from my own router back to LAN port 1 (ENET1) on the Comtrend. This carries the internal LAN segment back to the management interface (eth0) of the Comtrend so you can manage the modem from your LAN.

Before you connect your private LAN (10.0.1.x) back to ENET1, be sure to configure the Comtrend default management address to a static address within that 10.x range.

See if that works for you...

Bill
by jason.lee » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:56 pm
Hey Bill,

Thanks, that's the info I'm looking for. I'll give it a try and post back if I have any problems.
3 posts Page 1 of 1