Best router for Gigabit Fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
79 posts Page 1 of 8
by TClapp » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:21 pm
Would an Eero router be recommended with the upcoming Gigabit Fiber service? If not, what router(s) would best take advantage of the higher speeds?

Thank you!
by steelgaze » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:43 pm
Depends. I think wireless speeds are getting up to around 150MBps so if you don't use that much.. I guess it's fine. you're not going to see the full speed however. In comparison sonic fiber will deliver at least 900MBps.

If you want something that can potentially use the full pipe, you have to use a wire connection.
by kyj » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:47 am
TClapp wrote:Would an Eero router be recommended with the upcoming Gigabit Fiber service? If not, what router(s) would best take advantage of the higher speeds?

Thank you!
If you look at this
https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/ ... _anything/
it seems like the Eero is limited to 600 Mbps

I'm getting close to 1 Gbps with the provided router on my wired connections; but I believe either a computer or custom embedded system would work.

I tried some customer grade routers with 1000 Mbps WAN ports, but the default firmware was only about to get to 700 Mbps throughput at most.
by dane » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:34 am
The service comes with a full Gigabit capable router and firewall, soon to be enabled with IPv6 routing and firewalling too. If you need more than the four Ethernet ports, add a small Gigabit Ethernet switch behind it. If you need a second WiFi access point to extend coverage, connect an 801.11AC WiFi device set in "Bridge" mode; match the SSID and WEP key from the side of the Sonic router for seamless in-home roaming.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cdrayson » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:07 pm
dane wrote:The service comes with a full Gigabit capable router and firewall, soon to be enabled with IPv6 routing and firewalling too. If you need more than the four Ethernet ports, add a small Gigabit Ethernet switch behind it. If you need a second WiFi access point to extend coverage, connect an 801.11AC WiFi device set in "Bridge" mode; match the SSID and WEP key from the side of the Sonic router for seamless in-home roaming.
The sonic supplied router is probably best for most people. They're reliable and Sonic can help with configuration.

That said, we have a Linksys EA6900, and we get over 900Mb/s over cat5 ethernet, and wifi runs 500 - 600 in the same room (which I didn't think was possible), and 225 - 250 three rooms away. These numbers are for moving things around our LAN, so I can't tell you for sure how it would perform on gigabit fiber (at least, not until July 25th).
by nelson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:38 pm
Dane,

Thanks for bringing fiber to outer Sunset. Is there any plan to allow other router options in the future, besides the "current" pace 5268AC for fiber customers? I don't mind paying the monthly rental fee, but I rather use something more substantial, in features, documentations, and raw horsepower, than the Pace.

I am thinking of using an enterprise class router.

http://routerboard.com/CCR1009-8G-1S-PC
by Guest » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:29 pm
ISPs will probably never use a CPE such as a Routerboard. They use Pace and their ilk because they work for most people and it simplifies support logistics.
by nelson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:52 pm
Guest, you are correct. I am pretty sure that most just want something to plug it in and here comes cat videos on youtube.

But, some want VLAN, QoS, port forwarding, and a separate subnet for guests, and so forth. Based on my googling and reading some forum posts, and without reading any official manuals (as I can't find any), that Pace unit probably is not enough.
by Guest » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:03 pm
nelson wrote:But, some want VLAN, QoS, port forwarding, and a separate subnet for guests, and so forth. Based on my googling and reading some forum posts, and without reading any official manuals (as I can't find any), that Pace unit probably is not enough.
You're right--the Pace is not sufficient for those who want a little more control or their topology is a little more complex. You'll need to purchase your own and opt out of Sonic's CPE.
by dseven » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:06 pm
My reason for opting out of the RG is that I have a second external link on the outside of my router (a sortof private WiFi MAN), and some fancy policy-based routing, and I'm assuming that the RG doesn't allow for such things.

I'm currently using an Asus RT66 running TomatoUSB, but it's getting nowhere near the throughput of the gigabit fiber service in Brentwood (probably partly due to the way I'm using VLANs), so I'm now looking at the RouterBoard RB3011 line, but it seems they're not available in the US yet (especially the RB3011UiAS-2HnD-IN with WiFi) ...
79 posts Page 1 of 8