Best router for Gigabit Fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
79 posts Page 2 of 8
by dane » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:30 pm
dseven wrote:My reason for opting out of the RG is that I have a second external link on the outside of my router (a sortof private WiFi MAN), and some fancy policy-based routing, and I'm assuming that the RG doesn't allow for such things.

I'm currently using an Asus RT66 running TomatoUSB, but it's getting nowhere near the throughput of the gigabit fiber service in Brentwood (probably partly due to the way I'm using VLANs), so I'm now looking at the RouterBoard RB3011 line, but it seems they're not available in the US yet (especially the RB3011UiAS-2HnD-IN with WiFi) ...
I'd be concerned about IPv6, as you think about devices other than the Sonic provided solution. We've taken careful steps to assure we've got a full wire-speed IPv4 router and firewall solution, with the fastest and most powerful 802.11AC WiFi, and as IPv6 is deployed to Fusion Fiber customers, we'll be doing the same. IPv6 and firewalling is real important, as there isn't NAT, so this is a potential exposure, or a performance issue. Finding hardware that won't create a bottleneck is a real challenge.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dseven » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:47 pm
dane wrote:I'd be concerned about IPv6, as you think about devices other than the Sonic provided solution. We've taken careful steps to assure we've got a full wire-speed IPv4 router and firewall solution, with the fastest and most powerful 802.11AC WiFi, and as IPv6 is deployed to Fusion Fiber customers, we'll be doing the same. IPv6 and firewalling is real important, as there isn't NAT, so this is a potential exposure, or a performance issue. Finding hardware that won't create a bottleneck is a real challenge.
Agreed.

I got my tunnel to HE's tunnelbroker going again today, but that's not the long-term vision.

Can you provide any details yet on how IPv6 will be implemented on gig fiber (Brentwood)? I asked the question a few weeks ago (as a guest), but there was no answer, other than that it's not supported yet...
by dane » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:09 pm
dseven wrote:
dane wrote:I'd be concerned about IPv6, as you think about devices other than the Sonic provided solution. We've taken careful steps to assure we've got a full wire-speed IPv4 router and firewall solution, with the fastest and most powerful 802.11AC WiFi, and as IPv6 is deployed to Fusion Fiber customers, we'll be doing the same. IPv6 and firewalling is real important, as there isn't NAT, so this is a potential exposure, or a performance issue. Finding hardware that won't create a bottleneck is a real challenge.
Agreed.

I got my tunnel to HE's tunnelbroker going again today, but that's not the long-term vision.

Can you provide any details yet on how IPv6 will be implemented on gig fiber (Brentwood)? I asked the question a few weeks ago (as a guest), but there was no answer, other than that it's not supported yet...
I don't have details, sorry - but it's coming! We're just squashing a few vendor/router bugs that preclude deployment, then it'll roll out.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Sun May 01, 2016 7:16 pm
Guest wrote:
nelson wrote:But, some want VLAN, QoS, port forwarding, and a separate subnet for guests, and so forth. Based on my googling and reading some forum posts, and without reading any official manuals (as I can't find any), that Pace unit probably is not enough.
You're right--the Pace is not sufficient for those who want a little more control or their topology is a little more complex. You'll need to purchase your own and opt out of Sonic's CPE.
Given the evasiveness around answering this question on multiple threads one must conclude that the service is being sold with the Pace RG and one is REQUIRED to use it.

I don't see the big deal in being hones about it? You loose very few customers as this is a unique situation, not a deal breaker for most. The alternative is having to order, then figure this out the hard way, then cancel. There's cost involved and aggravation with this path...
by dseven » Sun May 01, 2016 7:38 pm
I don't see any evasiveness or dishonesty here. If you want to be fully supported, you use the provided RG (which has been thoroughly tested and vetted). If you're willing to support yourself (as I am), the option is available to do that, but you're on your own as far as finding a suitable solution and making it work.
by Guest » Sun May 01, 2016 10:35 pm
dseven wrote:I don't see any evasiveness or dishonesty here. If you want to be fully supported, you use the provided RG (which has been thoroughly tested and vetted). If you're willing to support yourself (as I am), the option is available to do that, but you're on your own as far as finding a suitable solution and making it work.
Thanks dseven, so in your case do you still have to pay the $9.50/month RG rental fee for the Pace router which as you said you don't use?

Anyway to opt-out of that unnecessary expense?
by dane » Sun May 01, 2016 11:21 pm
Keep in mind that the fee covers equipment, support, and any on-site work. For customers who choose not to participate, any on site dispatches are billed, and support is more limited due to our lack of visibility. Think of it as an insurance policy, where we take end-to-end responsibility, from the couch to the Internet!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lgsplace » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:13 am
Dane wrote that one can use a bridge to extend the Pace 5268AC. I tried to set up a Netgear as a bridge and the two devices absolutely would not communicate. What am I missing. Is there a setting on the Pace 5268 which needs to be changed so that it will "accept" the bridge? I've got dead spots in my home and would like to have access in those spaces.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
by dane » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:23 am
lgsplace wrote:Dane wrote that one can use a bridge to extend the Pace 5268AC. I tried to set up a Netgear as a bridge and the two devices absolutely would not communicate. What am I missing. Is there a setting on the Pace 5268 which needs to be changed so that it will "accept" the bridge? I've got dead spots in my home and would like to have access in those spaces.

In bridge mode, the device should take in Ethernet, and output WiFi, without any routing or NAT. I've done it at home using my Sonic Pace 5268AC and an Apple Airport Extreme in bridge mode.

I'd suggest ringing Netgear support to see if they can assist. Please do let us know what you learn!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by miken » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:30 am
lgsplace wrote:Dane wrote that one can use a bridge to extend the Pace 5268AC. I tried to set up a Netgear as a bridge and the two devices absolutely would not communicate. What am I missing. Is there a setting on the Pace 5268 which needs to be changed so that it will "accept" the bridge? I've got dead spots in my home and would like to have access in those spaces.

Have you matched the two SSID, passwords and authentication types? By default, the Pace 5268AC SSID/Password will be located on the side of the device and the authentication type is WPA2-PSK(AES). If those settings are not matched on the Netgear, it won't act as an access point.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
79 posts Page 2 of 8