Best router for Gigabit Fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
79 posts Page 7 of 8
by ozware » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:35 pm
Many routers work well with the fiber ONT to replace the Smart RG or Pace Sonic device.

I have tried an old consumer TP-link Archer c7 ac1750--> easy to set up but has limited configuration options.
Now using: Mikrotik hAP AC --> easy to set up followed by unlimited configurations. Small, unobtrusive, good wireless coverage with 3X3 radios and 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports.

Unless you have special networking needs, you may as well keep the Sonic wireless router. You can swap in your Belkin to see how it works and keep it for a backup, though Sonic will quickly replace a failed Sonic router--insurance. I recommend the stock equipment for relatives who have Sonic service--less of a hassle for me to avoid requests for tech support that Sonic can provide to troubleshoot equipment.
by dane » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:27 pm
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by linberl1 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:02 pm
ozware wrote:Many routers work well with the fiber ONT to replace the Smart RG or Pace Sonic device.

I have tried an old consumer TP-link Archer c7 ac1750--> easy to set up but has limited configuration options.
Now using: Mikrotik hAP AC --> easy to set up followed by unlimited configurations. Small, unobtrusive, good wireless coverage with 3X3 radios and 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports.

Unless you have special networking needs, you may as well keep the Sonic wireless router. You can swap in your Belkin to see how it works and keep it for a backup, though Sonic will quickly replace a failed Sonic router--insurance. I recommend the stock equipment for relatives who have Sonic service--less of a hassle for me to avoid requests for tech support that Sonic can provide to troubleshoot equipment.
Well, my Belkin crapped out so I bought a TP Link C4000 at Costco. It's definitely a lot better than my Belkin was. Pushed my Fusion wifi from 10mb to 12.5mb, my transfer rate from 360 to 780, and my signal % is at 40% now rather than 60. I will swap out the Pace with my C4000 to see which has the stronger signal once I get my fiber install. My neighbors are blasting their wifi channels with 6 Eero on one side of me and the other side has Google Mesh and they clearly have them pushed to max transmission power; in my small house their signals can easily overpower plus I have some lath and plaster walls. The TP Link seems to be pretty darned powerful even against all their signals, and they are literally using every 5ghz channel. Why do two people need SIX Eero in a 1000 sq. ft house?????????
by linberl1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:38 am
FWIW the ArcherC4000 I got at Costco is working really well with Sonic fiber.
by ann04 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:40 am
jjmata wrote:So nobody using UBNT Unifi gear? I'm thinking of a USG + US-8-60W Switch combo ... looking for others with some experience with that. A bit confusing how the EdgeMAX line and the Unifi lines seem to be converging somewhat (hearing some people mention that they don't integrate that well, and that USG seems to be slowly getting features EdgeMAX used to have)

Thanks! Can't wait for my install date this month to revamp the network at home.
I will not suggest using just USG on a giga fiber. USG at my place only go at max 110MB down and 100 up with IPS on. If you really like Unifi product, I will consider usg pro 4.
by fozzibab » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:55 am
Howdy,

I've just signed up for Sonic's Fusion IP Broadband FX3 at gigabit speed, piggybacking on AT&T's lines. The guy I spoke with on the phone said that renting the equipment provided by Sonic is mandatory. So...

Why is this mandatory? It's adding an additional $16 to my monthly rate. It's still better than any other service provider, but it's also a completely unnecessary expense.

A friend that also has Sonic's service (although I don't know that it's the same as mine) in SF is adamant that only the fiber box the tech provides during installation is mandatory, whereas the Pace router itself is completely optional. Is it possible for me to just get set up on the system with the equipment the tech provides and then replace it with my own afterwards, and send the Sonic-provided stuff back to cancel the rental?
by dane » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:53 am
AT&T locks their network and only allows the use of their own equipment. They use 802.1X certificate-based authentication in the router to assure their device is used. So, we must rent it.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by fozzibab » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:07 am
dane wrote:AT&T locks their network and only allows the use of their own equipment. They use 802.1X certificate-based authentication in the router to assure their device is used. So, we must rent it.
Got it. Somehow I'm not surprised that it's an AT&T-requirement rather than a Sonic requirement.

Thanks for the response, Dane, I appreciate it. It's also awesome that you spend time responding to customers directly on these forums. Literally the only time ever that I've seen a CEO do that. Kudos to you.
by dane » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:12 am
Thanks!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jimyeh27 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:33 am
dane wrote:AT&T locks their network and only allows the use of their own equipment. They use 802.1X certificate-based authentication in the router to assure their device is used. So, we must rent it.
I just got Fusion FX3 installed a couple of days ago and was originally going to replace the AT&T supplied Arris BGW210 with a Netgear AC3600 until I saw your reply.

Would it be possible to connect the Netgear to the Arris via Ethernet and have it as a WiFi access point to extend coverage in “Bridge” mode? I currently don’t get any WiFi signal below the floors that the Arris was installed.
79 posts Page 7 of 8