Best router for Gigabit Fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
79 posts Page 5 of 8
by parker_day » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:11 pm
Andy wrote:I'm looking to replace the rental we have from Sonic. What should I be looking for to be compliant with Sonic? I'm looking for specific recommendations for a Fiber Optic modem or a feature set that I'll need, so I can research.

For wireless I am going to with Plume or Erro and set up a wireless mesh. I won't need it to be wireless.
The Plume or Erro would replace the rented equipment. No additional router needed.
by jjmata » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:53 am
So nobody using UBNT Unifi gear? I'm thinking of a USG + US-8-60W Switch combo ... looking for others with some experience with that. A bit confusing how the EdgeMAX line and the Unifi lines seem to be converging somewhat (hearing some people mention that they don't integrate that well, and that USG seems to be slowly getting features EdgeMAX used to have)

Thanks! Can't wait for my install date this month to revamp the network at home.
by danielg4 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:40 pm
Having had a Pace 5268AC on FTTN for a couple of months before it could be swapped for the Arris NVG599, I would be eager to opt out of renting one again when the fiber gets here in a few months. Some conclusions to be drawn from the following article and others linked from it are inescapable.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09 ... ompetition
Consumer-grade routers categorically cannot handle a gigabit without "hardware NAT" and even then, they still manage to fail under load, as those tests show. The Ubiquiti devices also cannot handle a gigabit when this "hardware NAT" is turned off. Turning it off may be desirable, because any security problems discovered in it cannot be corrected. Equipment that can handle a gigabit without resorting to "hardware NAT" costs disproportionately more money when it is not based on x86 processors.

The obvious disadvantage to the Qotom device in the article is that it precludes the possibility of a gigabit over integrated wifi: Quantenna is now manufacturing draft-802.11ax parts in place of 802.11ac parts, but they require a PCIe bus rather than the USB that the Qotom requires for integrated wifi. The two other seemingly obvious contenders for a board to base a DIY device on are the PCEngines APU2, or for twice as much money, the Netgate RCC-VE. Other candidates cost even more. The obvious disadvantage of the APU2 is that it has only three Ethernet ports rather than any kind of switch capable of VLAN tagging. The Netgate board uses more electrical power, and it's already rare even now for the PG&E bill not to show a Tier 2 on it.

Thoughts?
by loheiman » Fri May 26, 2017 5:33 pm
jjmata wrote:So nobody using UBNT Unifi gear? I'm thinking of a USG + US-8-60W Switch combo ... looking for others with some experience with that. A bit confusing how the EdgeMAX line and the Unifi lines seem to be converging somewhat (hearing some people mention that they don't integrate that well, and that USG seems to be slowly getting features EdgeMAX used to have)

Thanks! Can't wait for my install date this month to revamp the network at home.
I have a Unifi USG + UAP AC Lite. Took me a little time to figure out how to initially set it up but now that it it's great. It's feature set and stability is second to none.
by thomashong » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:39 pm
Anyone using pfSense? To say the least, my experience with PACE gateway's has been horrible.
by mickpunk » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:08 am
It's been a long time coming; I have been a Fusion + Static IP ($70/mo) customer since 2009, Fiber is finally available in my neighborhood, and I upgraded yesterday.

The Good: check the picture below: I'm very happy with the almost symmetrical speed, and trying to savor this feeling before I become spoiled.

The Bad: dude, where's my VLAN? where's my port forwarding?

I partake in LAN gaming, and it was a shock that I could not last night. I was using the Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router with my Fusion DSL and I am going try and get it working with the new setup so I can return the PACE. Does anyone have this specific router working with Sonic Fiber?

The Ugly: I was very excited to get the email that my neighborhood was ready for Fiber and when I called I was clear in stating that I was a Fusion + Static IP customer. I understood that the static IP is not supported on Fiber and that's okay. I was quoted the $40/mo price with no talk about trial time or rental fees. To my shock when the technician was doing the install (the techs were great by the way) I found out not only that 1) it is a 6 mo introductory price for new subscribers 2) I don't qualify for it, but 3) Fiber with the PACE rental will actually be MORE EXPENSIVE than my Fusion DSL + Static UP setup as the salesperson on the phone even verified with me it would cost less than my current setup.

So I called Sonic sales. We discussed the fees and rental fee with the modem. They asked me to try using it for 1 month and I can test a new modem during that time, since they will not support a new modem (I get it, I just need more features than this PACE offers.)

They escalated it to someone who listened back to the original call to confirm what I said, and what I was told about pricing. When I was called back they said, "Sorry you were quoted incorrectly by the salesperson. We cannot give you the discount as a 'new' signup because our system won't let us. We can give you one month free credit on your Fiber."

Of course I took it, what am I going to do now, cancel? Complain more? 1 month free isn't exactly the same as the 6mo @ $40 price but it's a nice token gesture to shut me up.

Your service is great, I've stuck by you all these years with slow DSL speed because of your Privacy Policy and ethics. Your pricing is fair, I just don't like being led to believe one thing (inadvertently or not) and then surprised by another.

So I'm telling you this in hopes you will educate your sales people more, and offer a more equitable compensation when they do screw up and make promises that they cannot hold.

I also call for more transparency on your website regarding the feature set of the default Fiber router. If it was there, I could not find it in my advance research.

by miken » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:41 pm
mickpunk wrote:It's been a long time coming; I have been a Fusion + Static IP ($70/mo) customer since 2009, Fiber is finally available in my neighborhood, and I upgraded yesterday.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll review the situation and see where we can improve communication. Also, information on our Pace5268AC can be found on our knowledge base here: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Pace_5268AC
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by carol f-h » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:16 pm
hello-
i see this thread is a bit old but wondered if sonic is still monitoring it. i just got fiber optic installed several months ago and want to replace the sonic provided router. i originally got a nighthawk x6 r7900p unit but when gaming have terrible luck with it. i tested cables, etc and replaced the unit with another but am unable to game on xbox1. i get kicked after 5 or so minutes. i've looked at all the settings and prefer to keep it simple with UPnP as there are multiple gamers in the house.

recommendations?
by dane » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:51 am
carol f-h wrote:hello-
i see this thread is a bit old but wondered if sonic is still monitoring it. i just got fiber optic installed several months ago and want to replace the sonic provided router. i originally got a nighthawk x6 r7900p unit but when gaming have terrible luck with it. i tested cables, etc and replaced the unit with another but am unable to game on xbox1. i get kicked after 5 or so minutes. i've looked at all the settings and prefer to keep it simple with UPnP as there are multiple gamers in the house.

recommendations?
The Sonic supplied router has been tested to full gigabit, wire-speed routing, and also provides very fast WiFi-AC. Why replace it? You'll end up paying for any technician visits if you don't have our equipment, so there's some financial risk, and support's capabilities to diagnose issues are more limited when our equipment is not on-site.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mquiazon » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:28 am
carol f-h wrote:i tested cables, etc and replaced the unit with another but am unable to game on xbox1. i get kicked after 5 or so minutes. i've looked at all the settings and prefer to keep it simple with UPnP as there are multiple gamers in the house.
dane wrote:The Sonic supplied router has been tested to full gigabit, wire-speed routing, and also provides very fast WiFi-AC. Why replace it?
Multiple gamers. Gaming on a single XBox works fine with the Pace 5268AC. If I understand correctly, when you have multiple consoles playing simultaneously, the other consoles will need their own open ports mapped via NAT. XBox uses UPnP to makes those config changes and the Pace 5268AC does not appear to support UPnP.
79 posts Page 5 of 8