Best router for Gigabit Fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
79 posts Page 8 of 8
by dane » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:43 am
Sorry, no idea about the capabilities of the Netgear.

For whole-home WiFi coverage, we supply, support and recommend the Eero mesh WiFi solution, which you can add to your account via the links at: https://www.sonic.com/betterwifi

Of course you can procure a mesh WiFi solution via retail channels and do it yourself, if you prefer too!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gtwrek » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:09 am
You should be able to put the Arris in "DMZ+" mode. (I know that's the term for the Pace, not sure if it's standard or not).
Basically, this causes the Arris to push through most (but not quite all as in a true bridge mode) WAN traffic to your Netgear AC3600. The Netgear would receive the negotiated WAN address of the Fiber link. Your Netgear could then be configured to do all the normal DHCP, NAT, routing, firewall, WIFI, etc. that it offers. You should be able to disable the WiFi on the Arris, and just use your netgear's but there's rumors that ATT is making that difficult to outright disable the Wifi on their routers.

This "DMZ+" solution would still be a single NAT solution, required by many applications (i.e. WifI calling, Some Game systems, etc) as opposed to a double - NAT that breaks many things. The Arris is rumored to perform better than the Pace router ATT offers, which is having a host of troubles with recent firmware updates that break many applications.

Regards,
Mark
by jimyeh27 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:00 pm
I think putting the Arris in "DMZ+" mode is over my head as I'm not that advanced. I think I will look into a mesh system either through Sonic or retail. Thanks for the suggestions!
by dane » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:53 pm
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jkleckner » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:14 pm
dane wrote:AT&T locks their network and only allows the use of their own equipment. They use 802.1X certificate-based authentication in the router to assure their device is used. So, we must rent it.
What a waste of electricity, sigh. I went in and disabled their wifi so at least it doesn't compete with my existing unifi deployment.

I'm still jealous of my friends in San Mateo that get Sonic fiber without having AT&T in the loop.

That said, my install yesterday (in Palo Alto) was flawless and I am so enjoying the upgrade today.
I can push container layers without waiting 20 to 30 minutes...
Even an intentionally large one clocked in under a minute.

Thank you Sonic! I'm so happy to lose Comcast.

Now my son is jealous since he can't get Fusion yet though he is just 9 blocks away...
by jimmymio » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:59 am
I am looking to buy an affordable mesh router system. All things being equal, which would be better- a wifi 5 tri band system or a wifi 6 dual band?
by larns576 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:45 pm
Wifi5 Triband if you plan to use the wifi backhaul.
Wifi6 Dualband if you plan to hardwire backhaul.
by jimmymio » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:51 am
Wifi backhaul. Thanks for that info. Very helpful.
by Larns576 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:26 pm
or a WiFi 6 Triband!

Main thing is to get a tri band because you don't wanna lose half of your data bands for backhaul - You'll basically end up with half the speed.
79 posts Page 8 of 8