Best router for Gigabit Fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
79 posts Page 3 of 8
by lgsplace » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:24 pm
I've truly tried everything. The Netgear doesn't even let me access the routerlogin page anymore. I did set to the same SSID and PW I have the Pace configured to. I'm going to go acquire an apple extreme and see what luck I have. Very very very frustrated, particularly because the other people in my home are complaining loudly - and being that I'm caregiver for an 88 year old and an 89 year old, it is beyond difficult!
by rtrinh » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:16 pm
Check on the Pace router and try to see if the Netgear router picked up a different network IP address. Sometimes routerlogin.net doesn't work with non default IP addresses the router is assigned to. Another is to press the factory reset button on the router to start from the beginning again.
by guest » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:16 pm
I just ordered Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite-3; I looked at the tests people have done and this bad boy can do gigabit over nat easily; I am getting it because other than clear nat gigabit throughput I also want IPsec...

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/E ... 94#M121916
by FAlmgren » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:47 am
I have my Pace Gateway in a closet next to the service panel. I can test the wireless speeds using Ookla and connect to Sonic in San Jose. I am right beside the gateway when testing. My speeds are about 48mbs. I have an Engenius EAP350 AP connected in the center of my house and it measures about 88mbs. I am using a Apple tablet to perform the tests. Thoughts on why the speeds are so different? Is something in the closet attenuating the signal? The Engennius is set up as an access point.

Thanks
by dane » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:09 pm
FAlmgren wrote:I have my Pace Gateway in a closet next to the service panel. I can test the wireless speeds using Ookla and connect to Sonic in San Jose. I am right beside the gateway when testing. My speeds are about 48mbs. I have an Engenius EAP350 AP connected in the center of my house and it measures about 88mbs. I am using a Apple tablet to perform the tests. Thoughts on why the speeds are so different? Is something in the closet attenuating the signal? The Engennius is set up as an access point.

Thanks
I wonder if you're connecting with 802.11N to the Pace, instead of .AC. Can you check?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mikemee » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:17 pm
With fiber just installed, I'm narrowing down my choices for a replacement router. I'm tempted to use the provided Sonic router, but I really want multiple SSID support for guests and the growing number of dumb iot devices, and it seems that is not currently possible.

Off the shelf consumer grade contenders so far are:

TP-link archer c7 ac1750 - http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ... r-reviewed

Netgear R7000 - http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ... l=&start=1

It's such a wonderful problem to have so much bandwidth that my router can't handle it!
by paultov@gmail.com » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:27 am
I have a very strange situation at home: 2 different fiber wires installed by Sonic go to 2 different floors. I have the Pace Sonic router on the upper floor and the connection of the fiber wire going into a Gigabit Ethernet switch going into my PC downstairs. Regretfully, as a result, I do not have the network on my PC downstairs: excellent speed, but no network.

Any suggestions? Maybe a second router downstairs? I was told that Sonic would not rent me a second Pace router, so I need to find my own solution.

Any recommendations would be appreciated,

Paul
by dane » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:17 am
To extend your Wifi beyond the reach of the Sonic router, you could add any of the new mesh solutions, ideally with one or more of them connected via Ethernet. Check out Eero or AmpliFi or Orbi. The Apple Airport is fine too.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by shelle » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:09 am
I'm SOOOO disappointed in this service.

Tech Support ordered me a new PACE router but tell me it's not he best choice.

Why in the world would a company built on dependability and customer service RENT me a router that's not optimum nor match their reputation?

I am getting crap numbers on my laptop and my numbers on my Z3V are less than dial up.

The new router has numbers less than 100mps.

The Original were less than 20mps.

Attachments

by dane » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:16 am
shelle wrote:I'm SOOOO disappointed in this service.

Tech Support ordered me a new PACE router but tell me it's not he best choice.

Why in the world would a company built on dependability and customer service RENT me a router that's not optimum nor match their reputation?

I am getting crap numbers on my laptop and my numbers on my Z3V are less than dial up.

The new router has numbers less than 100mps.

The Original were less than 20mps.
Sounds like there may be some misunderstanding, or a training issue here. The Pace unit we provide was specifically selected for it's ability to route, NAT and firewall at full Gigabit speed. So while there could be bad hardware, the Pace overall is unlikely to be the cause.

When your technician installed the service, they would test with a wired Ethernet connection and assured gigabit speed, which you'll see on most speed tests as something a bit above 900Mbps of payload throughput. But we often do see consumers experiencing lower speeds, particularly with older PCs, and of course WiFi can't deliver gigabit speeds today. There are also a number of other potential impairments, for example USB Ethernet dongles don't go very fast, and four-wire Ethernet cables cannot deliver more than 100Mbps. I've also seen issues with duplex autonegotiation that can seriously impair throughput.

But all of these issues are pretty clear-cut, and can be diagnosed. And none of them relate to anything being wrong with the Sonic router, nor would they be resolved with a different brand or model of router.

I'll reach out to the support team and see if we can get some assistance getting to the bottom of this soon!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
79 posts Page 3 of 8