Best router for Gigabit Fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
79 posts Page 6 of 8
by Anony Mouse » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:32 pm
LOL, A reply within 12 hours incredulous that you were not using their "crappy" default modem/router.

Then silent for 10 days+ when you point out why it is not good enough(in addition to all the reasons brought up in those posts at the start of this thread explaining why modern day Fiber purchasers don't find the default Pace acceptable.)
by danielg4 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:14 am
Yes, the Pace is crap, but so is most of what's out there. I've been testing several gigabit-capable devices, and each has a different fatal flaw. I'd be putting OpenWrt/LEDE on the winning device regardless, so my comparisons are largely on the hardware level. I don't even know what I'm going to do with the rejects.
by Anony Mouse » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:16 pm
Wow, any chance you can write up a quick breakdown of what you have tried, where it failed you, etc?

It is obviously the community who are going to help with any breakthrough on third party devices.

Maybe the issues which are non-starters for your setup would be fine for someone else?
by Oliver76 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:56 pm
I just had Gigabit Fiber installed and wanted to know if I should use the Smart/RG router from Sonic or my Netgear X6 R8000 that I already own? Which will give me the best results when using WiFi?

Jonathan
by bubba198 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:55 am
I've been using ubnt's lite-3 and performance is the same as if I connect the test laptop directly into the Adtran ONT (yes that's when the laptop gets a public IP)

Of course the box has no Wi Fi and that's a whole another story; but the post asked about a router without specifically calling for Wi Fi _AND_ a router so I though this might be a relevant info.

Yes in my environment I do have Wi Fi - it's just an AP that I had from way back...

~B
by mjterps@yahoo.com » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:11 am
Thinking of giving Sonic back their Pace router and buying this router ( TP-LINK AC1200) to save the monthly rental fee from Sonic. Just my wife & I use our phones and laptops and cast a movie once and awhile. Your thoughts on the router for are needs?
by Larns576 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:31 pm
Should work fine for surfing and the occasional movie.
by JAllenG » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:47 pm
Has anyone tried using a mesh system (I currently own a Linksys Velop setup).

My specific issue is that I live in an older home with chicken wire in the walls, and in the past any and all modems and routers would leave dead spots everywhere in my home (single story, 1500 sq. ft). So far the mesh system has worked extremely well for my family and basic comcast internet, and I'd hate to learn that Sonic Fiber doesn't work with a mesh system =(
by dane » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:56 pm
JAllenG:

If you own the Velop, you could continue to use that - just connect it behind the Sonic router.

Sonic now offers a WiFi mesh solution to our members directly, as one of our equipment options. So, folks with Sonic fiber and other Fusion services can either stick with the standard single-point WiFi setup, or select a mesh solution. Some info can be found here: http://sonic.com/betterwifi
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by linberl1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:45 am
My fiber won't be coming until the end of summer but I'm wondering if I can continue to use my current router...it's a Belkin AC900 and is gigabit capable. I'm using it with Sonic Fusion right now. I've put an 802.11ac adapter on my older Mac, and we have one chromebook as well. The TV runs Roku via Plex from the Mac. Usage involves download and stream priority on the Mac with occasional use of the Roku/Chromebook. I'm comfortable with the belkin setup and don't really want to pay the extra $10 (will use the supplied router for the first year as there is no savings without it). Should I keep the Belkin to use later on?
79 posts Page 6 of 8