Internal Wiring for Apartments

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by tzhou » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:45 pm
I recently switched to Sonic from Comcast. I'm approximately ~1100' away from the CO but my speeds are approximately 6mbps down/0.5mbps up. A Sonic tech and an ATT tech have both come out to check my wiring and have more or less isolated the problem to be noisy internal phone line wiring. The problem is that I live in a fairly old multi-unit apartment building and will have to go through the landlord to get any changes done to wiring within the building.

Is my only hope of remedying this problem through running a new line/replacing the lines? If so, has anyone done this before in an apartment building and what are the approximate costs? I would prefer to use Sonic over Comcast but if it is going to be highly expensive to solve this problem, then I really have no choice but to go back.
by virtualmike » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:05 am
In CA, the landlord legally is required to provide one working phone jack within an apartment or other rental property.

First, see if you have multiple pairs of wires from the MPOE to your unit. If so, you could swap pairs--either by yourself, or by engaging a friend or electrician (who understands that phone wiring is not the same as 110V wiring). Don't hire AT&T, as the rates are exorbitant.

Some landlords are sympathetic to the need for internal wiring that supports high-speed data, but if the LL wants to be difficult, you'd be SOL. If the LL cares, you could check into a new home run from the MPOE to your unit (again, I'd suggest not using AT&T).
2 posts Page 1 of 1