Zhone 1511

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by pope » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:59 pm
I just thought that I'd post this, to benefit The People Of The Future™...

We have a Zhone 1511-A1 modem connected to Sonic.net Fusion service, and a Fonera router.

We unplugged these units before we went on holiday, and when we plugged them back in we couldn't get any Internet service. The modem could get ADSL sync, and the LED lights looked happy, but the diagnostics in the web interface showed that the ATM pings were failing most of the time. We could not get an IP address, since the line never came up properly. The Zhone user manual was not helpful in this case, and a factory reset did not help.

After a quick phone call with the Sonic tech support, and after messing with different settings, different phone cables and reseating the wires behind the wall socket, I thought to check whether Zhone had any new firmware for the unit. I upgraded to the latest firmware (1.01.29 - 14 Nov 2011) and Bingo - it worked! I'm not sure whether it needed the new code (I know that Sonic.net did some upstream ADSL maintenance on 27 Dec) or whether it just needed to be reloaded. But whatever it was, it did the trick.
by dane » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 am
Very odd. No changes on our side during that time frame, FYI.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pope » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 am
Hmm, this happened again after a 4hr power outage on Tuesday and it happened again this morning for no apparent reason. I can't find anyone else having similar problems with this unit.

I think that I'll buy another modem directly from Sonic.net, just so that it becomes a known entity on which I can get support.
3 posts Page 1 of 1