ZTE ZXV10 W300 - Assigning IP Inside NAT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by sergneri » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:31 pm
Hi - we bought an HP 7510 printer which seems to lose its way over night, in the morning we often have to reset it to put it back on the network. I would like to assign an IP address to this device at the router but do not see any options to do so. Under ADVANCED SETTINGS -> NAT it says NAT Status:Deactivated and don't see where you turn that on. Is there a user guide for this device anywhere? I searched the forum for ZXV10 and didn't get any hits on this issue or the user guide.
TIA - John
by thx1138 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:51 pm
Timely request as I've been researching modem/routers today and had a look at this one's features including a look at the manual. I didn't research an answer to your question but it should be in there.

User manual: <http://www.otenet.gr/hd/HTML/adsl/zte/Z ... ual_EN.pdf>

Didn't sonic provide one with the device?
by sergneri » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:09 pm
I don't recall seeing a manual, but it is crazy when you move house.
I was asking as I know zero about configuring devices on their network and this device config isn't familiar to me.
I have done some fun stuff with dd-wrt and an old Linksys, but that was RJ-45 socket in the wall, none of this ADSL+ stuff.
I shall read the manual, thank you very much for the pointer.
J
by wa2ibm » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:19 pm
On page 17 of the above referenced guide, it shows encapsulation mode as "bridged". This will cause NAT to be turned off and pass the public IP address from Sonic directly through to the LAN segment. Since you may only have one IP address from Sonic, only one device at a time can connect to the internet. Change the encapsulation mode to either dynamic or static, depending upon what service you have from Sonic. This will turn on NAT and provide your local LAN with a class C private subnet in the range 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.254, depending upon the DHCP settings of your router. Your local devices will all get an IP address within that subset, with NAT doing the translation from internal address to the single public IP address you have from Sonic.
by sergneri » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:28 pm
Hello, after tinkering with the above suggestion, I do indeed get NAT to show on the config. I do not see where I can set a device to an internal IP address though. I have a wireless printer (HP) which works fine for 12 hours then is unreachable until it is slapped around to renew its lease (I think). So, HP recommends setting it to a set IP address inside NAT. I don't see how that is done. The option existed on my old ZYCEL and NETGEAR modem interfaces, no problem in setting that up. If I could get a pointer on where that function might be, I'd be most happy. Cheers, Sergneri
by wa2ibm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:32 pm
I'm not sure about the router that you have, but on my Linksys routers, if you go into the DHCP settings area, you may find a way to assign a static IP address to a device based on the MAC address of that device. Each time the device requests an address, the router will provide only that address, and will not assign that address to any other devices.

Another way to handle this, if you can't find those settings, is to assign a static IP to your printer using the configuration settings of the printer itself. Make sure you pick an address outside of the range of addresses that your routers DHCP server provides. You can determine that range from the routers DHCP settings panel. The advantage of this is that your printer will never drop its address, and will never have to renew its lease, since there isn't one. And, you always know what IP address to point your browser to when you want to change configuration settings on the printer.

As I said, there are a number of ways to do it, take your pick.
6 posts Page 1 of 1