VPN auto-login

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by ichristie » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:17 pm
Is there a way to get the Windows VPN connection program to remember my password?
currently i have to login to it every time i login to windows.
by Guest » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:44 pm
ichristie wrote:Is there a way to get the Windows VPN connection program to remember my password?
You want to look at something like https://my.hostvpn.com/knowledgebase/22 ... Login.html which will save your password. If you have a shared computer and don't want people to see your password, install a program like SuRun to control the launch and mark the ovpn file read/write only by administrators.
by ichristie » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:42 pm
Guest wrote:
ichristie wrote:Is there a way to get the Windows VPN connection program to remember my password?
You want to look at something like https://my.hostvpn.com/knowledgebase/22 ... Login.html which will save your password. If you have a shared computer and don't want people to see your password, install a program like SuRun to control the launch and mark the ovpn file read/write only by administrators.
That's perfect. I'll try that tonight. Thanks!
by ichristie » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:05 am
Guest wrote:
The only ovpn file I could find was this and permissions would not let me even look at it even as administrator.
As far as I can see you can't edit it.
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN Technologies\OpenVPN Client\etc\profile\ovpn_sonic_net_dynamic_p0122.ovpn
by Guest » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:05 pm
ichristie wrote:The only ovpn file I could find was this and permissions would not let me even look at it even as administrator.
As far as I can see you can't edit it.
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN Technologies\OpenVPN Client\etc\profile\ovpn_sonic_net_dynamic_p0122.ovpn
Did you install the OpenVPN connect msi that Sonic gave you? I installed the OpenVPN installer from openvpn.net instead. On my computer Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN .... \etc is empty. My config file is at Program Files\OpenVPN\config. Make sure you install the 64-bit version.
by polpo » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:53 am
So I don't have to edit Sonic's .ovpn file directly, I create a new .ovpn file that includes Sonic's and then sets the auth-user-pass. Example:

Code: Select all

config ovpn_sonic_net.ovpn
auth-user-pass sonic_auth.txt
This makes it a bit more modular, so if I have to use a new .ovpn file from Sonic, I just replace the file in my OpenVPN config durectory.
by Guest » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:08 pm
polpo wrote:So I don't have to edit Sonic's .ovpn file directly, I create a new .ovpn file that includes Sonic's and then sets the auth-user-pass.
Thanks for the tip!
by orm » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:35 am
Wouldn't all admins on a machine be able to get your sonic member password in this case by looking at that file? Of course guest is assuming a private where all users are trusted machine that you're not too worried about...

For a public machine, SuRun looks like it might require admin priveleges anyway, not necessarily guaranteed on a public/shared machine, you could always ask IT I guess...

P.s. tunnelblick, mentioned at the linked hostvpn.com article, (only for os x unfortunately) will remember passes in keychain.app in the latest version at least, no need to even mess with that file mentioned at their tutorial https://my.hostvpn.com/knowledgebase/22 ... Login.html. I prefer not having passwords like that in plain-text if i can avoid it. So if you're on Mac there's an out-of-the-box free open-source third-party solution at least.

Thanks for the tutorial for windows / Linux "Guest"! There was also a method that sounds similar for *nix systems in another OpenVPN thread somewhere on the forums here...
by Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:52 am
Yes, admins will have access, works as intended. root/Administrator needs access in order to set things up anyway.

What I have done at home under Windows is all users, including myself, run as a normal user. I invoke SuRun on occasion when I need admin or just login using Administrator. SuRun allows you to grant individuals who are non-admin the ability to run a program using admin privileges without granting them access to its control panel. Once I grant a user admin privileges to the OpenVPN GUI I then remove read access to the ovpn file to all users except administrator.
by Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:56 am
orm wrote:Thanks for the tutorial for windows / Linux "Guest"! There was also a method that sounds similar for *nix systems in another OpenVPN thread somewhere on the forums here...
I don't use UNIX at home for the desktop. For UNIX I imagine if the client has its suid bit set you can do the same thing as what I do under Windows and if it doesn't you would set suid root, and only grant execute access to the client to group/world.
11 posts Page 1 of 2