speedtest not working

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by watcher255 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:03 pm
HI all,

anyone using speedtest from sonic?

right now not loading on my firefox
pc running
windows 7

Blank square

good luck
by virtualmike » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:35 pm
Your computer needs Flash for the Speedtest to work.
by Guest » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:37 am
or use
speedof.me

this runs without flash.
gives me way lower numbers then speedtest.net.
I wonder if the speedtest.net gets priority over other traffic?
meaning that providers "cheating" and slow down regular http traffic or "pushing" speedtest.net
by pockyken007 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:41 am
I assume speedtest.net gets traffic priority over other traffic .
by dane » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:11 pm
We believe that many providers, particularly those with shared cable networks, prioritize traffic to/from speedtest.net and other high-profile speed test services. This is a key reason speed tests are somewhat useless: what good is a 25Mbps speed test result if you can't stream a standard 4Mbps high-definition video from Netflix?

Sonic hosts a speedtest.net server, and also has our own branded speed test using software from Ookla, the speedtest.net folks. But you can also visit gateway.sonic.net if you're on a Sonic branded modem and simply see your actual connection speed displayed there. (If you have an ATT supplied modem/router, check the label on the side for the web address for the management interface.)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Ven » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:17 pm
Hi Dane,

SONIC's local speed test server is a valuable resource in helping to evaluate the users connection quality to SONIC, but I don't think the issue was the users connection speed to their ISP, but rather whether or not the ISP prioritizes traffic between the users and common speed test servers in order to give the false impression that they provide a fast connection to the backbone over-all.

I would like to share SONIC's policy and practice regarding this matter in a discussion about this very issue on October.app. People are asking for ISP recommendations there. Can you please provide a link to any helpful documents?

Thanks!

- Ven
by dane » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 am
Ven wrote:SONIC's local speed test server is a valuable resource in helping to evaluate the users connection quality to SONIC, but I don't think the issue was the users connection speed to their ISP, but rather whether or not the ISP prioritizes traffic between the users and common speed test servers in order to give the false impression that they provide a fast connection to the backbone over-all.
Using Speedtest.net, consumers have the ability to test speed to servers on other networks around the region. This can be a useful troubleshooting step: if the server we host shows consistently great speed, while another server on another carrier's network does not, that's an indicator.

Going further, if Sonic's locally hosted test is fast, and most other tests are slow, that could point towards a congestion problem at the edges of our network, where we interconnect with others. And if on the other hand, most test servers were very fast, but one was slow, maybe that host itself has interconnection or performance issues.

Here's an example of server selection, giving the opportunity to test both our network and our interconnection to each of these networks:

Also of concern, today many of the Speedtest.net servers are just 1Gbps connected, so that can also present an issue; if more than one person at a time is testing, you'd see slower speeds. This is why having our own server that we can assure is uncongested at 10Gbps is important for our members doing testing.

Oh, and one final point: with our fiber network, you are unlikely to see congestion anywhere in our network. And, the connection speed is 1Gbps - there's no other rate of speed in the network, like there might be with DSL or Cable. The primary usefulness for speed testing on fiber networks today is finding and mitigating slowdowns in the home; WiFi, slow routers or switches, bad Ethernet cables, dongles that cannot achieve full speed, etc. So, speed testing generally isn't telling you anything about our network, it's about figuring out local area network and client issues in the home. (Oh, and bragging rights. :lol: )

For tips on achieving full speed in your clients and local area network, you can find some great tips here: https://www.speedtest.net/insights/blog ... s-to-help/
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:17 am
Ven wrote:Hi Dane,

SONIC's local speed test server is a valuable resource in helping to evaluate the users connection quality to SONIC, but I don't think the issue was the users connection speed to their ISP, but rather whether or not the ISP prioritizes traffic between the users and common speed test servers in order to give the false impression that they provide a fast connection to the backbone over-all.

I would like to share SONIC's policy and practice regarding this matter in a discussion about this very issue on October.app. People are asking for ISP recommendations there. Can you please provide a link to any helpful documents?

Thanks!

- Ven
Oh, and I think I missed the thrust of this. Sonic doesn't prioritize any internet traffic on our network at all, by destination, source, protocol or anything else. We are a neutral internet provider.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:32 pm
dane wrote:
Ven wrote:SONIC's local speed test server is a valuable resource in helping to evaluate the users connection quality to SONIC, but I don't think the issue was the users connection speed to their ISP, but rather whether or not the ISP prioritizes traffic between the users and common speed test servers in order to give the false impression that they provide a fast connection to the backbone over-all.
Using Speedtest.net, consumers have the ability to test speed to servers on other networks around the region. This can be a useful troubleshooting step: if the server we host shows consistently great speed, while another server on another carrier's network does not, that's an indicator.

Going further, if Sonic's locally hosted test is fast, and most other tests are slow, that could point towards a congestion problem at the edges of our network, where we interconnect with others. And if on the other hand, most test servers were very fast, but one was slow, maybe that host itself has interconnection or performance issues.

Here's an example of server selection, giving the opportunity to test both our network and our interconnection to each of these networks:

Also of concern, today many of the Speedtest.net servers are just 1Gbps connected, so that can also present an issue; if more than one person at a time is testing, you'd see slower speeds. This is why having our own server that we can assure is uncongested at 10Gbps is important for our members doing testing.

Oh, and one final point: with our fiber network, you are unlikely to see congestion anywhere in our network. And, the connection speed is 1Gbps - there's no other rate of speed in the network, like there might be with DSL or Cable. The primary usefulness for speed testing on fiber networks today is finding and mitigating slowdowns in the home; WiFi, slow routers or switches, bad Ethernet cables, dongles that cannot achieve full speed, etc. So, speed testing generally isn't telling you anything about our network, it's about figuring out local area network and client issues in the home. (Oh, and bragging rights. :lol: )

For tips on achieving full speed in your clients and local area network, you can find some great tips here: https://www.speedtest.net/insights/blog ... s-to-help/

TLDR - Speed test is all about "BRAGGING RIGHTS" ( this gave me a great chuckle Dane ) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: oh and troubleshooting your own internal network :P :P :P
9 posts Page 1 of 1