Speeds in Richmond District (94121)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by Izzy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:00 pm
Hi, we recently got Sonic Fusion and I seem to recall being around 5,000 ft from a CO.

I'm getting this-http://www.speedtest.net/result/1668692554.png
Which certainly isn't bad, and I love it, but the service said ~20 mbps, so I'm wondering if theres some wiring issue or anything like that. Anyone getting similar speeds?

We have a ZTE ZXDSL 831 router and an Airport Express hooked up to that.

Thanks!
by wa2ibm » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:06 pm
Fusion service is rated as "Up to 20mpgs". That's the fastest you'll get, provided you're right outside the CO. At 5,000 ft from the CO, you'll get much less. See this chart for speeds that others have seen:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r255689 ... ut-6-Mbps-

Your report shows about 5.25 mbps, which isn't too bad, but you may be able to get a bit more by working on your interior wiring and then with support to see what they can do. You should connect your modem directly to the NID and see what speeds you get by removing your interior wiring as a source of any problems. Then, work with support if you don't see much of an improvement.
by dane » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:02 pm
If you truly are 5,000ft from the CO, you should see much better than 5Mbps. As wa2ibm suggests here, testing at the NID is a good way to assure there's no internal trouble with your household wiring.

Ring up support to check measured distance from our ASSIA tool, and for further assistance with troubleshooting! Just call 611 on your Fusion line. You can also check our hold times here before calling: http://www.sonic.net/contactus.shtml

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rich » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 pm
hi
im thinking of getting sonic.
any update on speeds in the richmond district?
or can someone in tech support tell me?
by Cal » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:16 am
Call Sonic's Tech Support which is 1st rate! I live in the Richmond District and was about 4500 feet from their CO. I was getting about 7mpbs download speeds.

Sonic agreed with me that my speeds should be higher so they sent a tech over to troubleshoot and the tech was outstanding. He ran a new phone line that shorten the distance (and bypassing some older wires) to the jack that I wanted my router to be at and installed a mega DSL filter at the phone box (eliminating the need for any in-house DSL filters). Lo and behold, after he was done, my download speeds increased to 15.7MPBS!

I live in a 1920's built flat on the upper level so even though the tech ran some new wire, it was only partial - it connected to a switch which then had pre-existing old copper wires. So to see the speed more than double was awesome.
by kasan007 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:00 pm
I was wondering if the speeds I get VS the distance from the node are accurate or could my speed be a little bit better ?

Last Result:
Download Speed: 8363 kbps (1045.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 848 kbps (106 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 59 ms
2/22/2014 7:57:24 PM

Your location is about 6425 feet from our local serving office.
by digitalbitstream » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:34 am
Get an extension cord.
Hike your modem and wifi unit down to the (usually gray) colored network interface box where the phone comes into your home or unit.
Plug in there: no phone, no filter, no inside wiring.

Did your speeds stay the same? You're done, sorry.
Did your speeds increase? You paid $6.50 for inside wiring service, give Sonic a call and get them to come on out.

---

Someday I hope Sonic will release a tool to compare nearby houses (e.g. three houses on the 100 block of Example Street get an average sync speed of 5433 kbps).
7 posts Page 1 of 1