CO Two Line Question

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by yulius » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:25 am
I tried to lookup the location of the CO using this website.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/coinfo

My numbers are 650-312-XXXX & 650-539-XXXX. The 312 is located near me in San Mateo. The 539 is reporting a CO in San Francisco. I'm getting 2.8mpbs on the 312 and about 1.2mpbs on the 539.

I was expecting both lines to be around 2.8mpbs. Is this because the second line is on a different CO?

EDIT: The Fusion application page told me this.
Your location is about 7,780 wire feet from our local serving office

EDIT2: Here's my speedtest results
by wa2ibm » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:12 pm
Your Fusion lines are both going to the nearest CO. However, with "Number Portability", the actual phone numbers could be associated with just about any CO in the area in which Sonic has equipment. That said, you should probably be getting somewhat better speeds out of each of your lines. See the chart here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r255689 ... ut-6-Mbps-

However, there are a LOT of factors that can, and do, affect your speed other than just the length of the outside wire. Wire gauge, bridge taps, and other things along the line, as well as your own inside wiring can affect your speeds significantly. And be sure to use the twisted pair cable that came with your modem to connect to your RJ-14 jack. Standard 4-wire phone cords are not twisted pair and have a negative affect on your bonded speeds.

As a first step, I'd take your modem directly to your NID and connect it there and run a test, thus eliminating any inside wiring issues. Once you've eliminated those, ring up support (611 from your Fusion line) to see what they can do for you.
by virtualmike » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:02 am
yulius wrote:My numbers are 650-312-XXXX & 650-539-XXXX. The 312 is located near me in San Mateo. The 539 is reporting a CO in San Francisco.
I normally use a different web site to research prefixes: http://www.localcallingguide.com/ (using area code/prefix search).

As you expect, 650-312 is served from one of the main switches in San Mateo (it's served by SNMTCA11DS0; switch SNMTCA11DS1 is located in the same CO). Numbers with a prefix of 650-312 are originally assigned by AT&T.

According to Local Calling Guide, the 650-539 prefix is divided between T-Mobile, Level 3 Communications, XO California, CBeyond Communications, Pac-West Telecomm, and Bandwidth.com. (The next digit identifies which of those companies originally "owned" the number.)

wa2ibm's hint about number portability is spot-on: at one time, 650-539 was assigned by T-Mobile (wireless carrier) or one of the other CLECs in the list above, and then was ported to Sonic.net.

One or more of those carriers processes its calls through a switch in San Francisco (most likely, T-Mobile, since it has the 650-539-1xxx block of numbers). That's the address that Broadbandreports.com is showing.

As you're aware, T-Mobile phone numbers do not have a wireline connection to a phone. That can also happen with the CLECs. Technically, it's not required that 650-539-yyyy be wired to San Mateo, but all Sonic.net Fusion numbers are wired within the assigned rate center.
by yulius » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:43 pm
Thanks for the information. I called the Tech Support and they asked for a trouble ticket to be opened to check out why the 2nd line is so slow.
4 posts Page 1 of 1