Fiber technology overview

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
28 posts Page 2 of 3
by shihonage » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:53 pm
Oh, I figured it out. The page is oddly designed. It presents you with a login screen at the same time as the choice of "Fusion phone numbers", without any "sign in" button in sight.

Then it waits for you to input Sonic id and password, and click on another editbox on the page. Then it suddenly checks your credentials.

"Fiber is on its way!

As a Sonic customer, you're already on the list to switch to Fusion Gigabit Fiber. We'll contact you as soon as we’re ready to schedule your installation. Thank you for joining Sonic's Internet Revolution!"

I guess it works...
by rdhong » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:47 pm
I'm currently on Fusion FTTN with a Pace 3801HGV modem/router. My MPOE in the garage is located 20 feet away from a power source, so will the ONT be located next to the power source or will the power be extended 20 feet to where the MPOE is.

Will the Pace 3801HGV be swapped out for a Pace 5168? (I still have an unused ZyXEL P-663HN-51.) Do I have to ensure I have a two-pair copper wire or Cat5 cable from the ONT to the phone jack in my room where the Pace 5168 will be?

Can't wait for June to arrive.

by dane » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:13 pm
rdhong wrote:I'm currently on Fusion FTTN with a Pace 3801HGV modem/router. My MPOE in the garage is located 20 feet away from a power source, so will the ONT be located next to the power source or will the power be extended 20 feet to where the MPOE is.

Will the Pace 3801HGV be swapped out for a Pace 5168? (I still have an unused ZyXEL P-663HN-51.) Do I have to ensure I have a two-pair copper wire or Cat5 cable from the ONT to the phone jack in my room where the Pace 5168 will be?

Can't wait for June to arrive.
Bravo, glad to hear it!

Regarding power in the garage, I'd leave that to the installer on site to work out. I'd guess they'll put the ONT near the existing outlet, and then run cable to the MPOE to distribute voice.

Regarding Ethernet, if you don't have existing Ethernet into the home, they'll do a "minimal" run. This generally means they'll do an first-floor exterior run of Cat5e cable to a room with an exterior wall. If you've got a large crawlspace that is safe, clean and easily accessible, they may run cable there. They will not fish walls, enter attic spaces, nor run cable up to a second floor on the outside of the building for safety reasons.

So, if you have a specific desire for equipment location, or if you want to distribute Ethernet to additional jacks in the home, having a low voltage wiring contractor run Ethernet to a central point wouldn't be a bad idea. Particularly with Fiber, because it's Gigabit and wireless cannot deliver that much speed, running Ethernet to any additional desktop PC locations is worth considering.

Yes, the service will be delivered with a Sonic/Pace 5268AC.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rdhong » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:59 pm
The garage is on the ground floor. Living quarters are on the second floor right above ground floor. The challenge is how to do a minimal run to the room on the second floor when there's a furnished room with sealed walls below that room. Presently there is only a two-pair cable placed inside the wall before drywall was installed.

So the Sonic/Pace 5268AC gateway functions only as a router/switch/wireless access point, and the modem and VoIP functionality are left unused?
by dane » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:01 pm
rdhong wrote:The garage is on the ground floor. Living quarters are on the second floor right above ground floor. The challenge is how to do a minimal run to the room on the second floor when there's a furnished room with sealed walls below that room. Presently there is only a two-pair cable placed inside the wall before drywall was installed.

So the Sonic/Pace 5268AC gateway functions only as a router/switch/wireless access point, and the modem and VoIP functionality are left unused?
In most buildings in SF, we're generally delivering to an MPOE location in the garage, adjacent to existing telco and cable service boxes. In many cases a power outlet is available adjacent, as the main panel and meter are also there.

We typically run Ethernet from there along the ceiling of the garage, and do a floor penetration to the first level and place the Sonic residential gateway (Pace 5268AC) at that location. If you wanted it somewhere else, and that required wire fished through walls, attics, second story access etc, you'd need to complete that prior or afterward.

Yes, the Sonic Pace 5268AC is a router/switch and 802.11AC WiFi access points. It can also function as a bonded VDSL2 modem, and we use it for Fusion VDSL and X2 services too, but in the Gigabit Fiber application, it's got a Gigabit WAN port that is used as uplink instead.

Voice service is delivered from the separate, battery backed-up optical network terminal (ONT), which is the unit located generally in the garage, and interconnected to the household phone wiring at the MPOE location.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Boyan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:02 am
Is there any way to decline the use of Pace 5268AC and instead just hand over service to me via Ethernet straight out of the Adtran box?

Thanks
~B
by Guest » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:18 pm
Boyan wrote:Is there any way to decline the use of Pace 5268AC and instead just hand over service to me via Ethernet straight out of the Adtran box?

Thanks
~B
I would like to know this as well.
by sjlevine » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:08 pm
Hi,
I've preordered Sonic Fiber for my Richmond District apartment. I live on the 3rd floor, in a building with 4 units total. Will the installation crew be able to properly deliver service to my unit?

Thanks!
by dane » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:15 am
sjlevine wrote:Hi,
I've preordered Sonic Fiber for my Richmond District apartment. I live on the 3rd floor, in a building with 4 units total. Will the installation crew be able to properly deliver service to my unit?

Thanks!
Today we're finalizing many of the installation details for multi-unit buildings in SF, so I can't tell you exactly the details, but we do anticipate delivering to buildings like yours.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rdhong » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:43 pm
We typically run Ethernet from there along the ceiling of the garage, and do a floor penetration to the first level and place the Sonic residential gateway (Pace 5268AC) at that location. If you wanted it somewhere else, and that required wire fished through walls, attics, second story access etc, you'd need to complete that prior or afterward.
I think a floor penetration to the first level would not be possible because there is a den/room below, so fishing may be necessary. I may have to hire an electrician to string Cat6 cable from the MPOE location and fish it up to the first level before fiber install.

28 posts Page 2 of 3