ADSL2+ synch with netgear modem-router

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by vsp » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:55 am
I have fusion ADSL2+ service from sonic. I have a netgear DGN3500 modem-router which supports ADSL2+. The sonic tech tells me I'm synched to ADSL2 (not 2+) which is controlled by the modem, not sonic.

So, how do I get the modem to recognize ADSL2+? I can find no setting to deal with this.
by kgc » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:07 am
If you aren't already running the latest firmware I would recommend updating to it. If you are, I skimmed the documentation and I see no mention of any configuration options (or status output) from the router. You might be able to get somewhere with Netgear support but it may also be a good idea to verify that all of your filters are ADSL2+ capable.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:17 pm
kgc wrote:If you aren't already running the latest firmware I would recommend updating to it. If you are, I skimmed the documentation and I see no mention of any configuration options (or status output) from the router. You might be able to get somewhere with Netgear support but it may also be a good idea to verify that all of your filters are ADSL2+ capable.
I am running the latest firmware. First thing I checked.

You're right about the documentation. Modem sync is automatic. It will sync at ADSL2+ automatically if the ISP is delivering a ADSL2+ signal. It reverts to ADSL2 if not, and to ADSL1 if it can't get ADSL2. No user control on this although I'm still hanging a bit with netgear, but that's how I understand it.

I am using ADSL2+ capable filters, at least sonic tells me they are ADSL2+ capable; I bought them from sonic when they told me I needed new filters.

I'm reasonably convinced that it's not on netgear. It appears to be a problem with sonic promising service they are unable to deliver.
by dane » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:30 pm
Our DSLAM default configuration is "multimode", which allows the modem to negotiate whatever it decides is best. We can also lock to a specific protocol; ADSL1, ADSL2 or ADSL2+, so that might be worth a try. Ring 611!

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kgc » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:35 pm
Also, not all modems are created equal. It might be a good idea to swap the modem out for testing with another (preferably one we sell - they are well tested for performance and stability) to see if it behaves any differently.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
5 posts Page 1 of 1