Speed in Inner Sunset, 94122

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
18 posts Page 2 of 2
by vsp » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:01 pm
dane wrote:At less than 8kft?? That's odd. Not to beat the horse more, but have we dispatched to resolve?
Yes. Once. And At&T five times, hard as that may be to believe, they have been out here five times. Every time but one (the first) they said their lines are fine.

To repeat: My lines are fine (new CAT5, new everything else) as well.
by dane » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:06 pm
Will you email me at dane@sonic.net with your username? I'm curious about the location and distance.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:58 am
vsp wrote:Yes. Once. And At&T five times, hard as that may be to believe, they have been out here five times. Every time but one (the first) they said their lines are fine.

To repeat: My lines are fine (new CAT5, new everything else) as well.
I'm just another customer, but I'd encourage you to keep working with Support.

When my line was first ported to Fusion, my speed quadrupled, and was pretty stable for four months. That kind of set the bar for me.

Then, in four months later, kablooey. I'd reboot the DSL modem, do a speed test, get great results, and then the line rate would deteriorate--perhaps in a few hours, or maybe in a few days. Sometimes the line would recover, but more often, it would not. Nothing had changed in the house, especially with the inside wiring.

Regular monitoring at Sonic.net's end continually revealed sporadic bursts of noise. One of the Support people gave me dates and times, which I could not correlate with any activity in or near the house. I strongly suspected an issue somewhere in the copper, especially since on occasion, the voice line seemed to have hiss or static in the background.

Support worked with me, trying everything in their arsenal to get the issue resolved. Sometimes a fix seemed to solve the problem, only to have the line deteriorate again a few days later. Sonic.net detected a bridged tap, which AT&T was dispatched to remove. That cured the issue for a couple of weeks. Sonic.net techs visited several times, as did AT&T's (either with or without Sonic.net techs). Of course, each time, the AT&T techs claimed the line tested clear. Sonic.net's techs said my inside wiring was in good condition.

I would have even believed that the reduced speeds were appropriate for my distance from the CO, except for the inconsistency and the fact that I'd had four months of stable service at a fairly high rate.

Finally, a few months ago, after AT&T 's final trip, the problems cleared up, and the line has been fast and stable ever since. The line rate is slightly lower than I got during the first four months, but it's still more than 3.5x what I had with "traditional" line-shared DSL before Fusion was available. I've been too lazy to call Support to inquire about raising the cap (partially due to the "why mess with success" philosophy :-).

My point: there are so many variables, and even if it seems like Sonic.net is recovering old ground, the company really does want it to work. Heh, the CEO has shown interest in your case.

I invested the time over several months to get the situation resolved, because Support demonstrated it was willing to work with me to resolve it, and ultimately, it was fixed. If your experience has been different, be sure to discuss it with Dane when you correspond with him.
by vsp » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:05 am
I appreciate your remarks, but consider how much time you spent on the phone with support, at home waiting for AT&T to show up, trying to fix things that were not broken, and on and on.

I have been on the phone to support at least 6 times (I've lost count) in the past two weeks. AT&T has been to my house five times. Sonic's tech has been to my house once. Everyone has a different opinion of where the problems lie. When does it become truly unreasonable?
by SG via DSLR » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:35 pm
I am in the 94122 zip and at roughly 5k ft from the CO. I'd imagine if you're CO is the same as mine (19th and kirkham or abouts), we would probably get the same speeds. I am getting about 16mbps, and I too pretty much maxed out on the ATT's 6mbps plan.

Good luck to you.
by Pete » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:54 am
94122. (24th and Noriega). Around 5k feet too but not sure about that number and I get 12-13 mbps.
by paulgreen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:31 am
To the OP, we're very close to you in the Inner Sunset -- 5th and Irving -- and we are consistently getting a little under 8MB/s dl and a little under 1 MB/s ul.
by Chris » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:40 am
Don't mean to butt in, but I will anyway. I'm in SF 94131. Switched to Sonic from ATT <3Mbps. I'm getting 3.7Mbps down, .8 up. I'm pretty excited to get over 3, with phone (long distance, caller id, etc) for 40 bucks, no contract, no apparent caveats!

ATT and comcast are the only games in town and are considerably more expensive, lousy service, have contracts and all the nonsense I am happily to finally be free of. I am shocked to hear how unhappy you are with a faster cheaper service than ATT.
18 posts Page 2 of 2