Netflix Wii Streaming

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by TheDormin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:05 pm
Let me start by stating that now that everything is working, I am very happy. I can now cancel my over-priced Comcast internet.

I changed every setting, cycled power countless times and read many a forum post about Wii, Netflix, Sonic.net performance. All of that and I could not figure out why, with Comcast, everything worked but with Sonic, turning on my Wii slowed everything on the network to a crawl.

I have a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 which worked fine with Comcast but needed a firmware upgrade to work with Sonic.

The answer was simple now that I know it, but no one I spoke to or post I read suggested this might be the problem.
by dane » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:33 pm
Both of these are quite interesting. Please clarify:

Your Linksys ethernet/wifi router didn't work on Fusion until you upgraded the firmware? That's odd.

And - your Wii being turned on made your network connection very slow? Also quite odd! Is this problem ongoing?

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by TheDormin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:48 am
Yes, I thought it was an odd problem and an odd fix as well. I tried EVERYTHING and was about to give up. "What else could it possibly be?" is what I thought. I would run a speed test; get great speeds; turn on the Wii; get bad speeds; turn off the Wii; get good speeds again. I turned on the Wii mid-test and it broke the test.

I'm sure someone would be able to give you all the technical jargon about what was wrong but I don't do this professionally. I don't know what the Wii was doing that was breaking everything or whether the router was mishandling the Wii's requests but that is what I was experiencing. I had a laptop that used the WiFi no problem. I even swapped the Comcast back in to make sure I wasn't crazy. As a last effort I updated the router firmware and it worked.
by asarnow » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:28 pm
I'm also having Wii Netflix problems, but with the standard Sonic-supplied router. Are there any settings that need changing?
by dane » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:03 pm
asarnow wrote:I'm also having Wii Netflix problems, but with the standard Sonic-supplied router. Are there any settings that need changing?
Not that we know of - should work just fine.

The OP was reporting that when his Wii was ON, his broadband was slow. Off, it was fast. That's quite odd too, and it seems like it's different than the issue you are struggling with.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 am
First thing to pop into my head about the Wii thing would be if both the Wii and the LAN side of the router were set with the same IP address.
by asarnow » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:02 pm
Our problem turns out not to be related to the OP's.

aw's suggestion is possible - but the Wii defaults to use DHCP so I wouldn't expect it. The Wii had bad WPA compatibility until recently, so maybe something really was up if the Wii wasn't updated and the WRT54G had an old Linksys firmware.
7 posts Page 1 of 1