Problem with Pace 5268AC and disabling wireless

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
74 posts Page 1 of 8
by ahvigil » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:08 pm
I disabled the wireless interface on the Pace 5268AC modem provided by Sonic.net a while ago since I already have my own wireless router. Today I noticed that not only was the default SONIC-#### still broadcasting, but it seemed to have all security disabled...
Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 11.38.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 11.38.10 AM.png (125.3 KiB) Viewed 10263 times
Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 11.37.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 11.37.42 AM.png (53.15 KiB) Viewed 10263 times
Additionally, trying to use the wireless settings page seemed to have no affect. I confirmed that wireless security settings had never changed from the default:
Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 11.45.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 11.45.57 AM.png (25.85 KiB) Viewed 10263 times
The only way I was able to fix this was by going to resets and doing a Wireless Configuration Reset. I reproduced the problem by trying to disable the wireless interface again, with the same results. I'm not sure if theres something weird on my device or if this is a firmware issue- maybe a factory reset would solve the problem.

This seems like a serious issue and I have no idea how long my network has been completely unsecured. In any case, I can't find any way to actually disable the wireless network. If this is a firmware problem, someone needs to get on this ASAP.
by amayfield » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:28 pm
There are two wireless networks that the 5268 is broadcasting - 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz broadcasts have their own configuration options within the modem's interface. Did you disable both broadcasts?
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by Guest » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:32 pm
amayfield wrote:There are two wireless networks that the 5268 is broadcasting - 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz broadcasts have their own configuration options within the modem's interface. Did you disable both broadcasts?
Why would broadcast SSID have anything to do with enabling/disabling the radio? Unchecking "Enable Wireless Interface" should be enough to disable both bands. Maybe it's the way the page is worded and unfortunately the OP did not capture the entire page. My 5031 has a section labeled "2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Radio Configuration" even though there's no 5 GHz band.

vhvigil: I suggest you do as amayfield suggests and uncheck both bands' SSID broadcast, reboot the modem, and attempt to reconnect (and enable connect even if an SSID is not broadcasting) to see if it's another bug in the Pace.
by amayfield » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:40 pm
Good point Guest, bit of a brainfart on my part. Still recovering from last night's company Holiday Party.

The 5268 wireless configuration page has sections for both the Wireless 2.4Ghz Radio Configuration and the Wireless 5Ghz Radio Configuration. If you make changes for the 2.4Ghz Radio those changes do not apply to the 5Ghz radio. You need to disable the wireless interface for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by Guest » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:15 pm
amayfield wrote:Good point Guest, bit of a brainfart on my part. Still recovering from last night's company Holiday Party.
Nice to have a small company that still cares about its employees hold company parties. I remember those events...
by admun » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:50 am
I am having the same issue, with a twist....

I disabled both wireless interface and confirmed it's stopped.

__Then__ I restart the 5268AC and the 5Ghz Interface turn back on, even in the setting it showed it's not enabled.

I am wondering if someone else run into this? I am repeatedly reproduce the problem.

Update:

I unchecked "Enable Wireless Interface" under "Wireless Interface" and "Wireless 5 GHz Radio Configuration" and saved (note, there are 2 save button, each for the aboves)
by admun » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:05 am
Did some more debugging.

Even with SSID broadcast and WPS turned off, the 5Ghz interface stays on after the modem reboot.

In fact, the SSID broadcast on 5Ghz stay checked in the setting and persist to on over uncheck-then-save.... looks like a modem bug?
by Guest » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:30 am
admun wrote:Did some more debugging.

Even with SSID broadcast and WPS turned off, the 5Ghz interface stays on after the modem reboot.

In fact, the SSID broadcast on 5Ghz stay checked in the setting and persist to on over uncheck-then-save.... looks like a modem bug?
Have you opened a support ticket with sonic regarding this faulty equipment you are renting from them? I thought the point of the rental fee was that they handle any problems with the hardware.
by Guest » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:42 pm
I'm experiencing a similar issue with the 5268AC: can't disable SSID Broadcast on the 5 GHz radio. When I uncheck the option and click save, the page reloads with the option still checked.

I've verified that the SSID is still broadcasting. This appears to be a bug in the modem/router firmware, or in Sonic's UI. I called Sonic and they told me to reboot. Did that, problem persists. They will get a call back tomorrow.

I can disable the 5 GHz radio in the mean time.

FWIW, I've noticed that the network list on OSX caches SSIDs, so it's more accurate when testing to use another method of scanning. I use the built-in airport utility in Terminal:

Code: Select all

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -s
by adame » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:49 pm
admun wrote:I am having the same issue, with a twist....

I disabled both wireless interface and confirmed it's stopped.

__Then__ I restart the 5268AC and the 5Ghz Interface turn back on, even in the setting it showed it's not enabled.
This is a known issue with a specific firmware version. I've pushed the most recent firmware to your device, which will allow you to disable the 5ghz interface. We run monthly firmware upgrade campaigns to try and keep every modem in the field up to date, so your modem would have been updated soon in any case.
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
74 posts Page 1 of 8