Problem with Pace 5268AC and disabling wireless

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
74 posts Page 8 of 8
by pockyken007 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:57 pm
Guest wrote:I have the Pace 5268AC with AT&T's Fiber offering. Never had a problem with the SSID appearing as I have both radios turned off. I do use a Checkpoint 790 Firewall behind the gateway. My initial config with the firewall was to let it get a private IP from the Gateway with DHCP. As there was a good deal of malicious activity being logged by the firewall of the RG/Pace, and I did not want to open up logging to another machine I decided to implement DMZ+. I was quite pleased to see the Checkpoint take the public IP of the 5286AC. I decided to remove the broadband cable before going to sleep last night. Guess what? There was activity logged on my firewall with the source being 192.168.1.254 which is the private IP of the gateway. The firewall correctly blocked it but if the broadband was disconnected how did this happen? Seen this before from my
"surveillance stalker". Hacks into a broadband router of a neigbors to connect wirelessly with devices which I have.
Only way which I have been able to resolve is to remove WLAN chips from all devices which I have in my home or I have
a snoop. Anyone know how to get the Pace open so I can remove the WLAN card/chip? This is what happens when ISPs
with lots of disclaimers put $30 Ebay trash into peoples homes.
Please post packet capture that shows the traffic going through or logs of the traffic going through the modem / router with broadband being disconnected cause I'm calling bs on this .
by Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:37 pm
You may call BS on anything which you desire. I have no reason to lie and I also don't sound fire alarms.
If I post logs then I have also published the pubic IP that my firewall assumes. Contrary to what I was led
to believe residential public IPs aren't exactly dynamic. As I am probably the only one in my neighborhood
with AT&T fiber it might not change for a while. I can tell you what was occurring, DHCP requests. My firewall
was not making the requests and the response from the Pace was the equivalent of a ICMP packet to see if
the IP provided to my firewall was still "alive." Pretty standard fare according the DHCP RFC. Last weekend I
booted the Pace and the Checkpoint. Later that evening I checked my Checkpoint firewall. It had reverted back
to a private IP i.e. 192.168.1.64. How did this occur? DMZ+ configuration is not persistent across boots?
While I have advanced engineering degrees and over 30 years experience on the Internet I have better things
to do with my time than opening up hardware to remove WLAN chips. I have seen similar scenarios from the
same individual on my Mac Mini and Dell Latitude laptop. The laptop had the wireless switch in the off position.
Ad-hoc peer to peer wireless networks probably from an unsuspecting neighbors hardware. My neighbors are
fine and do not possess the know-how or desire to launch these sort of attacks.
by danielg4 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:03 pm
Yeah, a major downside to FTTN is that you can't 100% limit the Layer 3 equipment to devices completely under your control. Looking forward to the Gigabit Fiber upgrade that makes equipment rental optional…
by pockyken007 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:22 pm
Guest wrote:You may call BS on anything which you desire. I have no reason to lie and I also don't sound fire alarms.
If I post logs then I have also published the pubic IP that my firewall assumes. Contrary to what I was led
to believe residential public IPs aren't exactly dynamic. As I am probably the only one in my neighborhood
with AT&T fiber it might not change for a while. I can tell you what was occurring, DHCP requests. My firewall
was not making the requests and the response from the Pace was the equivalent of a ICMP packet to see if
the IP provided to my firewall was still "alive." Pretty standard fare according the DHCP RFC. Last weekend I
booted the Pace and the Checkpoint. Later that evening I checked my Checkpoint firewall. It had reverted back
to a private IP i.e. 192.168.1.64. How did this occur? DMZ+ configuration is not persistent across boots?
While I have advanced engineering degrees and over 30 years experience on the Internet I have better things
to do with my time than opening up hardware to remove WLAN chips. I have seen similar scenarios from the
same individual on my Mac Mini and Dell Latitude laptop. The laptop had the wireless switch in the off position.
Ad-hoc peer to peer wireless networks probably from an unsuspecting neighbors hardware. My neighbors are
fine and do not possess the know-how or desire to launch these sort of attacks.

Feel free to edit your public IP out I would love to see Traffic logs between devices with broadband being disconnected ....
74 posts Page 8 of 8