Problem with Pace 5268AC and disabling wireless

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
74 posts Page 7 of 8
by Guest » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:45 pm
I'm not surprised by these bugs on Pace RGs. It's the price we pay for a less-inexpensive (from the perspective of an ISP) product.

What OP can do in the mean time is turn down the transmitted power to its minimum and disable its SSID broadcast if you're worried about security from a casual busybody.

Even if an AP isn't used, it still sends periodic handshake frames. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802. ... _handshake While the traffic isn't large it's still using spectrum and interferes with other devices due to the "only one device can talk at any given time" per frequency aspect of WiFi.
by parhelia » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:40 pm
dane wrote: Point of curiosity: I'm wondering why folks want to disable the WiFi. Having an idle SSID doesn't do any harm.
Dane, those of us with AP's that auto select channels based on the signal strength of nearby AP's are negatively effected by this bug. The fact that the SSID is relatively "idle" doesn't matter here. It indirectly effects our neighbors for the same reason.

I have sent a support email to Sonic, hopefully they will push the new firmware and I wont be annoyed by this anymore.
by adame » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:06 am
parhelia wrote: I have sent a support email to Sonic, hopefully they will push the new firmware and I wont be annoyed by this anymore.
Sorry this is so annoying! We're happy to push new firmware, but it looks like you've disabled routing mode on your 5268. While it's just bridging traffic, we cannot communicate with it and directly push that upgrade. If you'd like to let me know via a reply or by email (my username @ sonic.net) I can push the firmware to you as soon as I hear the device is acting as a router again.
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
by parhelia » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:17 am
Thanks to Adam and the rest of the Sonic support team for getting this issue sorted for me. Anyone else experiencing this issue should contact support -- they were very helpful.
by dane » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:37 pm
parhelia wrote:Thanks to Adam and the rest of the Sonic support team for getting this issue sorted for me. Anyone else experiencing this issue should contact support -- they were very helpful.
If you want the new firmware, you can just write support@sonic.net and ask them to push updated firmware. Note that this will cause a brief outage as your router reboots, so it'd be good to acknowledge that you understand that and they should proceed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by m2m3 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:15 am
I just wanted to reply to let you (Sonic) know that I got my update 10.5.4.527314-sonic that fixes the wireless issue. I requested the update via E-mail around 1PM on 10-18-17 PM and received it around 2:30 AM on 01-19-17. I was web browsing as the update was occurring and was delighted that after the firmware flash that 3 of my mobile devices showed that my sonic wireless 5GHz was in fact hidden for the very first time.

Thank you, sonic, that the update worked and got rid of that supposedly hidden SSID. Now, I can unhide it and change the SSID to perhaps advertise to my neighbors to subscribe to Sonic.

GOOD!!!!!
by psychicb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:19 pm
dane wrote:I think there may be some misconception that having "a lot of wifi networks" is a bad thing, and that cutting down on the raw number will help performance. Thats not the case; an idle network does not impact WiFi performance in the area. It is actual usage that creates congestion, so it is not necessary to try to limit the number of access points.
Any tips on having my tri-band router be my main one, then? I'm curious to see if my download speed is 10mbps slower due to having too many devices competing for the same band... :ugeek:
You can trust me, I'm The Doctor's companion's spouse's friend's sister's dealer of all the alien technology that we find left behind - BTW, bow ties are COOL :ugeek:
by btpark » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:10 pm
I received a new Pace 5268AC today with firmware 10.5.4.527281-sonic. I can turn off the 5 GHz wifi, but I am unable to turn off the 2.4 GHz wifi. I unchecked the "Enable Wireless Interface" checkbox in the "Settings > LAN > Wi-Fi" page, for both 5GHz and 2.4GHz, saved that page multiple times (using the two "Save" buttons). But I still see the 2.4GHz SSID. Just wondering if other people are still having this problem. I'll send off a quick message to support@sonic.net as well.
by btpark » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:09 pm
It took a couple of back and forth, but Support pushed a new firmware (version 10.5.4.527427-sonic) and that seems to have fixed the problem. I can disable either or both 2.4GHz and 5GHz interfaces.
by Guest » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:26 pm
I have the Pace 5268AC with AT&T's Fiber offering. Never had a problem with the SSID appearing as I have both radios turned off. I do use a Checkpoint 790 Firewall behind the gateway. My initial config with the firewall was to let it get a private IP from the Gateway with DHCP. As there was a good deal of malicious activity being logged by the firewall of the RG/Pace, and I did not want to open up logging to another machine I decided to implement DMZ+. I was quite pleased to see the Checkpoint take the public IP of the 5286AC. I decided to remove the broadband cable before going to sleep last night. Guess what? There was activity logged on my firewall with the source being 192.168.1.254 which is the private IP of the gateway. The firewall correctly blocked it but if the broadband was disconnected how did this happen? Seen this before from my
"surveillance stalker". Hacks into a broadband router of a neigbors to connect wirelessly with devices which I have.
Only way which I have been able to resolve is to remove WLAN chips from all devices which I have in my home or I have
a snoop. Anyone know how to get the Pace open so I can remove the WLAN card/chip? This is what happens when ISPs
with lots of disclaimers put $30 Ebay trash into peoples homes.
74 posts Page 7 of 8