Sonic/Meraki Mesh Network/Better Answer Needed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by gcotter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:14 pm
This is John on behalf of Gretchen. I'm her IT guy. I just installed the new Fusion ADSL2+ modem/router/wifi for her and noticed a Meraki Mini plugged into her 10/100 switch which went to the old Zoom modem. It seems to offer up two SSIDs: Sonic.net Member Secure and Sonic.net Open Wifi. I wanted to make it part of the new network as a second Access Point, but I couldn't log into its control panel. Upon further investigation I found it to be on an odd IP range 10.128.128.x. I slapped a network sniffer on the network and found three computers hooked up to it that are not in the house. If I unplug her DSL modem the network loses WAN access. Visiting the 10.128.128.1 page redirects to n8.meraki.com/splash/ and shows a map of a Mesh network.

I called Customer Support and got a response like we don't support that anymore. When pressed the rep just didn't know and told me to search on Hot Spot in the Sonic.net support. This is not in character with the normal stellar support our mutual client reports, so I thought I'd post this to get real answers to some questions this raises:

1) If it is not supported why does the Meraki map show our mutual client's house as Node 8?
2) I'm assuming any traffic is going through our mutual client's DSL phone line and is thus impacting her bandwidth, correct?
3) Is there any risk to her LAN from this traffic?
4) Will activating QoS on the physical port with a low priority rule work to throttle the open network's bandwidth?

I know our mutual client means well and once the bump from 1.5mpbs to 20 is in place I'm sure she won't mind continuing to share so long as her own internal network is safe and these questions are answered. There are afterall three computers happily using our mutual client's node. I want Sonic Net's assurance that the traffic is separate and safe. I'm also wondering if I can throttle the bandwidth back. Since the Meraki is plugged into a LAN port, I did activate QoS and applied that port very low priority.
by dane » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:35 pm
We no longer offer or support the Meraki wifi hotspot, and it can be disconnected and discarded.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1