Sonic fiber in SF

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 1 of 2
by chris90 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:16 am
Exciting article in the Chronicle about Sonic.net applying for setting up fiber-related boxes in SF.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1

It mentions 188 boxes. Does anyone know where they'll be?

Also, is there a way to track the application's progress?

Thanks,
Chris
by Guest » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:56 am
I sincerely wish you guys the best of luck getting the permission to install utility boxes and that the city realizes its light years behind on internet technology. We couldn't even get UVerse up and running before they decided to flip flop their decision on getting boxes up to service the majority of the city and reverted back to having nothing again. How sad is that? :P
by chris90 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:40 pm
Yeah, SF's politics are completely absurd. But... if the boxes are ever approved, then Sonic.net will provide fantastic competition against AT&T. Who wouldn't want fiber internet and phone at $40/month?
by paulgreen » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:07 pm
A question and some comments. Would this be fiber-to-the-home or just to-the-node? I do hope it is the former. UVerse technology is part fiber part copper, and my limited understanding of it is that is already pretty out of date technology.
A main issue with regard to the UVerse boxes is that these are private boxes on a public right of way (sidewalks) and in many neighborhoods, the sidewalks are already fairly crowded, and if placed adjacent to the curb, would hinder parking next to the box. Many people also objected to the fact that all these boxes are graffiti magnets.
One solution is to place these boxes on private property, as I believe Verizon has put their FiOS service. Another, albeit more expensive option, would be to underground the boxes. Several neighborhoods have undergrounded utility lines and there is an extensive network of dark (unused) fiber that is owned by the City, Muni and other utilities.
by virtualmike » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:50 pm
paulgreen wrote:A main issue with regard to the UVerse boxes is that these are private boxes on a public right of way (sidewalks) ...
In many municipalities, the boxes are placed either on private property or in the grass strip between the sidewalk and street. It appears to depend mostly on the topography of the neighborhood.

I've read tales where people outside the Bay Area were approached by AT&T, who first told the homeowners, "We're putting this box in your yard." When the owners said, "No," AT&T then went to the city to try to force easements, asking the city to use eminent domain. Results varied; in some cases, AT&T won, but in others, AT&T had to pay the owners to get the easements.

There's a u-Verse box right next to the B-box that covers my neighborhood, and it's in the grass strip. Otherwise, if AT&T were to approach me, I'd offer to rent the space. :twisted:
by chris90 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:34 pm
I think Sonic.net is doing fiber-to-the-home. They've already installed some north of SF.

Read that the Sonic.net application for 188 boxes is for the Richmond district. I don't know how many homes can be connected to a single box, but it seems like locating boxes in larger apartment buildings would be viable.

Chris
by paulgreen » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:35 am
FTTH? Boxes off the sidewalk? Sign me up! Moreover, I could get our local neighborhood organization (Inner Sunset Park Neighbors) to try to help deployment.

--Paul
by chris90 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:03 pm
Sorry, boxes are still on the sidewalk.
by virtualmike » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:08 pm
Indeed. In a lot of SF, there aren't any yards or grass strips between the sidewalks and streets!
by paulgreen » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:15 pm
chris90 wrote:Sorry, boxes are still on the sidewalk.
Then there will be a battle with SF Beautiful and others. And they're pretty experienced in blocking placement of boxes: http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/under-d ... -att-boxes

I think another option would be liase with neighborhood organizations to try to identify private or public spaces that could accommodate the boxes without causing the problems that opponents state will happen if they're deployed.
16 posts Page 1 of 2