Sonic fiber in SF

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 2 of 2
by virtualmike » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:36 pm
Aren't Sonic.net's boxes on the poles?
by dane » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:28 pm
virtualmike wrote:Aren't Sonic.net's boxes on the poles?
That's the passive component, the optical splitter cabinet. They can be on boxes or in vaults underground.

The actives however are in ground-level cabinets.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:09 am
OIC.

Let's hope it's a quick approval process. Once people realize what they'd be getting...?
by cableknight » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:59 am
chris90 wrote:I think Sonic.net is doing fiber-to-the-home. They've already installed some north of SF.

Read that the Sonic.net application for 188 boxes is for the Richmond district. I don't know how many homes can be connected to a single box, but it seems like locating boxes in larger apartment buildings would be viable.

Chris
From what i read the 188 boxes would cover most of the city. At&t wanted to install 726 boxes for there fiber to the node -- they would run fiber to there older copper wire boxes and not to customers houses. Since sonic is using fiber to the home -- pulling fiber to everyone house they will need less boxes on the street.

"The trial will require one utility box, and a full deployment would require an estimated 188"
https://www.computerworld.com/s/article ... isco_homes
by paulgreen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:32 pm
That's an interesting difference in how the boxes are deployed compared to AT&T. With about 350,000 households in San Francisco, 188 boxes would mean about 1 box for every ~1900 households (assuming a city-wide deployment). Dane, are you able to fill in some more detail on this, or is it all a little too preliminary?

--Paul
by dane » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:35 pm
With an FTTH deployment, in a PON configuration, we need about one shelf (an Adtran TA5000) for every ~2000 homes. This is why it's roughly 188 cabinets to serve the city - a single chassis fits in each cabinet.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
16 posts Page 2 of 2