shouldn't my fusion speed be faster at 2200' from CO

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 2 of 2
by reward » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:08 am
Thanks, Dane. It certainly is a welcome change to do business with you and your support team.

Unfortunately, it's a rare-combination these days: a company which offers a high-quality product at a reasonable price, and which stands behind its product and converses intelligently with its customers.

I'm very happy to have found Sonic.net, and will be referring my friends your way.
by bny » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:03 pm
Today I cut over to Fusion. I'm around 5800 wire feet from the CO by Sonic's online gauge. With Sonic's speed test, I am now seeing 17Mb/sec. downstream and a little over 1Mb/sec upstream. The modem reports 21.65 downstream and 1.27 upstream.

My original service was on legacy Sonic DSL, with the installation being 11+ years old. Fortunately, the physical arrangement of the MPOE (garage wall) made it fairly simple to drill a new hole for a piece of CAT5 cable, lift all pairs off the terminals in the original PacBell outdoor ADSL filter box, and just use the old filter box as a splice point to the new CAT5.

I mounted a new Wilcom PS-15 ADSL2+ filter (not outdoor rated) on the inside garage wall, and did a home-run of CAT5 to the room where I have the modem. My original inside wire was troublesome even from day one of the old DSL installation, and I am very glad that I undertook the moderate effort required to install a CAT5 home run between the new filter and the modem location.

All that I had to do to restore service after the cut over, was to change the modem settings to ATM VP/VC 0/35, and to change the static IP and router addresses to the new assignments. Once that was done, the new service came up immediately and appears to be working even better than expected.
12 posts Page 2 of 2