Using OpenDNS

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by chris90 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:41 pm
I'd like to use OpenDNS. I have the ZTE ZXV10 W300 with WiFi. Some questions:

1. Is there a manual available? I looked briefly at the ZTE website, but it didn't look promising.

2. How can I change the Primary and Secondary DNS Server IP addresses?

3. Are there reason(s) for not using OpenDNS?

Thanks,
Chris
by dscycler » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:59 pm
I was using openDNS prior to switching to Sonic. I now have my AD dns using the sonic dns servers as forwarders and am 100% satisfied. Of course you might have a completely different experience.
by virtualmike » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:05 pm
I was using OpenDNS with my previous ISP, as that ISP couldn't keep its nameservers in operation, and when in operation, they weren't up-to-date.

After I switched to Sonic.net, I forgot to remove OpenDNS from my router's settings, but everything continued to work well.

I tested a while back, and the results I got showed that Sonic.net's DNS seems to be as reliable and up-to-date as OpenDNS' (and microseconds faster :D), so I removed the OpenDNS settings from my router. I have the IP addresses handy, however, just in case (but I suspect I'll never need them from home :mrgreen:).

OpenDNS does offer several services that Sonic.net doesn't, such as filtering for specific classes of domains (adult, malware, phishing, etc.), as well as statistics about the DNS fetches. Also, if you are using a mobile computer that's frequently on other networks, use of OpenDNS should mitigate the chance of using a compromised nameserver (especially if not using Sonic.net's free VPN service).
3 posts Page 1 of 1