Internet only plans?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
49 posts Page 2 of 5
by newcustomer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:23 am
dane wrote:Today you've got a voice line that the DSL is being delivered over. By dropping that, can you still achieve a lower overall cost?

Sonic's Fusion service is $40 monthly, and includes both home phone and Internet access. Where available, a faster "X2" option may also be offered, which includes faster Internet, for $60 monthly.

Both plans include unlimited nationwide home phone, Caller ID with name, voicemail (with SMS and Twitter notification and email delivery) and eight hours of "Borderless" calling to top international destinations.

-Dane
Hi Dane,

I just became a new customer of Sonic's Fusion service ($40 a month) but I am not aware of this offer -
eight hours of "Borderless" calling to top international destinations.

Please detail me a bit about this offer, is it 8-hr free to make international calls? any particular countries?

Many thanks for more explanation!
by dane » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:26 am
You can find news here: https://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2012/10/09/f ... expansion/

And rates and "Borderless" countries and territories are documented here: https://www.sonic.com/fusion-voice-international-rates
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mediahound » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:45 pm
Is it possible to have FTTN without the voice phone part?
by dane » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:51 pm
mediahound wrote:Is it possible to have FTTN without the voice phone part?
No, Fusion service is a combination of unlimited nationwide voice, some free international calling, voice features and broadband.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Paul Lomeli » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:00 pm
Sonic internet service recently became available in my neighborhood - yay! I switched to Sonic because Sonic's Fusion package is less expensive per month than AT&T and Sonic is a local company. I checked my download speed before and after the switch with a slight speed advantage to Sonic (less than 0.1 Mbps), upload speed was slightly slower (less than 0.5 Mbps) than AT&T in my area - more or less insignificant difference there.

After running for more than a week overall I'm satisfied with Sonic's internet service and as of tonight I've cancelled my AT&T internet service.

I would like to provide feedback on the Fusion bundled service. I repeat that overall the price I pay per month is lower than what I was paying with AT&T (after my initial contract discount ran out). Here are my dislikes with the bundled service:
1) I have to pay a monthly rental fee for the modem/router and a rental fee for the telephone converter. My preference would be to buy those on my own even if I had to buy a specific model from Sonic. I don't like the concept of an in perpetuity rental agreement for computer equipment.
2) The telephone service (and converter rental) are bundled - I have to pay for this whether or not I want VoIP telephone service. I would prefer an ala carte menu - if one were available I'd pay for increased internet speed, no hardware rentals and no telephone service even if I paid more per month than I do now.

At the end of the day this is really just nitpicking - so far I'm happy with Sonic and hope to stay with this service for a long time - until Google or Tesla or whoever floats internet dirigibles above my house with Gbps speed. Just thought I'd provide some feedback on the bundled business model (I would have been happier just knowing the per month price and not knowing that I was paying extra for hardware rental fees and VoIP telephone service).
by Megan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:13 am
I agree. I do not want phone service. I understand that's a packaged service. However, why is the equipment rental a requirement?
by mediahound » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:59 am
It is likely that Sonic can't make money on the FTTN service without bundling the phone line and charging equipment rental fees.
by dane » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:32 am
mediahound wrote:It is likely that Sonic can't make money on the FTTN service without bundling the phone line and charging equipment rental fees.
Bingo. And when life gives you lemons (a low margin product), make lemonade (add value, for example phone service).

We could offer a no-phone version, at roughly a $10 higher monthly rate, but that would add complexity to what is now a pretty simple product line-up: Broadband+Phone for $40, or about about double the speed for $20 more.

I'll also say that for life safety, I think that having a home phone is a useful resource. e911 with instant location transmission to emergency services can be critical in some situations.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:05 pm
I'd be willing to pay up to $5 more per month if I didn't have to pay any of the rental fees. We haven't had a landline in over 10 years. I was strongly considering switching from Comcast to Sonic, but not if we have to pay $13-16 more per month for renting property that I either do not need or can purchase on my own.
by Guest » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:18 pm
One problem is that Sonic constantly advertises the price of Fusion as $40/month when it is not that price at all; it is $53/month due to the mandatory equipment rental fees and if they were honest, they would just price it that way. On top of that, the mandatory phone service also subjects users to a bunch of additional taxes/fees, which in my city adds almost $11, bringing the monthly total to $64/month. So even if Sonic charged $50/month for an Internet-only plan, it would still be a substantial savings compared to the Fusion plan for those of us who don't want phone service.
49 posts Page 2 of 5