Internet only plans?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
49 posts Page 5 of 5
by Otalot » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:13 pm
I'm so sad that Sonic doesn't offer an internet only plan or better yet bundle a fiber plan with a true land line. We want better internet speeds but we can't give up the security of a hard copper land line. Twice the price for a only twice the limited access is too hard to swallow, I guess I'll have to explore other service providers.
by krellan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:34 pm
Hi, just spoke to a friendly Sonic technician, and he said I should make a forum post as a "vote" towards showing that there is a demand for this feature. So, here it is.

This post is another request that Sonic please offer an Internet-only service. That is, Internet service, without also having voice telephone service. I don't need voice telephone, everybody in the house already has cellphones and they work just fine. Having a voice telephone is kind of a novelty these days, sometimes I think I'm the only one in my age group who still has a landline.

I'm sure there's a legal reason why Sonic doesn't do this, since many other customers have also asked for it. My guess is that Sonic probably needs to include voice telephone service in order to be considered a CLEC, and they need to be a legal CLEC in order to gain access to AT&T's wires and colocation centers. Is that it? If it's a legal reason, then that's understandable. It's just that there's no need for voice service, when there's perfectly good Internet to use.

Thank you for reading this!

Josh
by pockyken007 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:50 am
You answered your own question ... heh . In order to be considered a CLEC they have to bundle with phones , I remember there was a post by Dane explaining it in more details but that's pretty much a gist of it
by krellan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:12 pm
OK, thanks, that's what I had surmised.

Josh
by dane » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:57 am
Otalot wrote:I'm so sad that Sonic doesn't offer an internet only plan or better yet bundle a fiber plan with a true land line. We want better internet speeds but we can't give up the security of a hard copper land line. Twice the price for a only twice the limited access is too hard to swallow, I guess I'll have to explore other service providers.
Voice delivered over the fiber "landline" should have good reliability, but it is important to pair it with a battery to back up the equipment. With that in place, you might consider eliminating the copper landline.

Or, you could always buy a copper landline from AT&T, separate from your Sonic fiber service.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Yohannon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:07 pm
I haven't had a land line for nearly a decade now -- there's simply no use for it. Would LOVE to dump xfinity in Alameda, CA, but I don't want to pay for services I don't want. Thank you!
by Jeffm » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:47 am
Also looking for internet only plans. And faster plans.

With Sonic being the only provider left in the Sunnyvale, CA area with no data caps, I am ready to switch to it even though speeds are slower than Comcast.

But I absolutely do not need phone service. I haven't had a land line for 10+ years and am happy with the decision. I would not only be paying for service I don't need, I wouldn't even hook up the phone box they send you. I don't want to keep track of some rental box just so I can return it some day.

I would rather pay more for a faster internet only plan than be forced to bundle phone. Please make this option available. I am ready to switch.
by niduh » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:34 pm
It is unfortunate that there is no internet only plan. Not only do I not want a VOIP line, I have no use for one. Have to keep my landline due to an old alarm system and have zero interest in upgrading that! I would prefer to support Sonic and not AT&T or Comcast. As much as I hate Comcast I am stuck with them because the offer the best price for internet only. ***Consumers should be able to purchase what they actually need. ***. Pay attention Sonic and really take care of your customers!
by Marin » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:04 am
DSL Extreme also resells AT&T internet, including AT&T Fiber, same as Sonic does in those areas where they don't have their own Sonic Fiber. The difference is that DSL Extreme does not require a phone line with the service.

So if Sonic can't offer internet-only plans, or doesn't care to do so, then DSL Extreme could be a viable alternative.
49 posts Page 5 of 5