Is Fusion going to be available in the 95139 area soon?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by Dave » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:32 am
I did the Check for Availability for the 20Mbps and it says that I'm 5900 feet from a CO box. What is the maximum distance from the CO box for Fusion? What type of speed should I expect from that distance? Is there a time frame for Fusion rollout in the 95139 area? I'd really like to dump AT&T soon.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
by wa2ibm » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:48 pm
95139 is in San Jose and, as far as I know, all San Jose CO's have Fusion equipment installed. This is verified when the prequalification tool says you're 5900 feet from the CO. As for a limitation, 10K to 11K feet is just about the limit for Fusion. At 5900 feet, you should get pretty good speed, somewhere around 8-10Mbps. See the scatter chart in this posting on DSLReports for a reference.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r255689 ... ut-6-Mbps-

Just remember that not all copper loops are equal. At any given distance, one loop will perform better or worse than another due many different factors, not the least of which is the wiring within your home.

Edit: typo
by Dave » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:46 pm
Just double checked and I was wrong. The Check Availability says sorry you are not within range for Fusion and says that I'm 5900 feet behind a remote terminal, but can order regular DSL from Sonic. Is the remote terminal the problem?
Is the Fusion requirement that it has to be CO only and no remote terminal?

Thanks,
Dave
by Dave » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:48 pm
And thanks for the quick reply wa2ibm
by wa2ibm » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:06 pm
Yes, Fusion is CO based only, so you're out of luck being behind an RT. You can apply for Sonic DSL service when you're behind the RT, but it will be through their wholesale arrangement with AT&T. Even though you're still using the AT&T last-mile circuit, you'll still enjoy better customer service from Sonic, and still no caps.
by dane » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:58 pm
Today Fusion is available to a bit over 50% of premises in the greater Bay Area. For those behind Remote Terminals (RTs), I'm afraid you're out of luck. This was the FCC's intention, during the Bush era they unwound many of the competitive components that enable broadband services like Fusion so that deployment in suburbs served by RTs is not feasible.

For more on the topic, see: http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/09/02/am ... d-duopoly/

The only real fix at this point is to build Fiber-to-the-Home to reach 100% of the premises we want to serve. We're working on the business model and skills required for this, beginning in a few pilot locations.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
6 posts Page 1 of 1