OpenVPN Open Beta

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
235 posts Page 23 of 24
by kgc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:00 pm
We do not have plans to implement an IPSEC based VPN solution at this time.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by mediahound » Mon May 23, 2016 2:23 pm
I'm still curious as to whether a VPN is really needed. Is there information that AT&T is indeed collecting our traffic data?
by C7864578 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:48 pm
by mediahound » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:53 pm
I've seen that but it's very outdated, from like 10 years ago. Is there evidence that AT&T are still data collecting today or that that room even still exists today? I can't seem to get any information on that. I even tweeted Mark Klein himself and he did not reply, probably because he no longer works there and doesn't know.
by Guest » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:59 pm
mediahound wrote:I've seen that but it's very outdated, from like 10 years ago. Is there evidence that AT&T are still data collecting today or that that room even still exists today?
My guess is rooms like that don't exist but data is still being passed onto the government in much more volume. With the documents Snowden has provided I would need evidence on the contrary and would assume the Five Eyes agencies are doing this by default.
by mediahound » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:03 pm
Guest wrote:
mediahound wrote:I've seen that but it's very outdated, from like 10 years ago. Is there evidence that AT&T are still data collecting today or that that room even still exists today?
My guess is rooms like that don't exist but data is still being passed onto the government in much more volume. With the documents Snowden has provided I would need evidence on the contrary and would assume the Five Eyes agencies are doing this by default.
But evidence points to less NSA snooping these days since and because of Snowden's leaks, not more.
by Guest » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:06 pm
mediahound wrote:But evidence points to less NSA snooping these days since and because of Snowden's leaks, not more.
The UK is doing more and they're sure to be spying on Americans, sharing that data with the NSA.
by forest » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:12 pm
mediahound wrote:But evidence points to less NSA snooping these days
Laughably wishful thinking.

In hopes of keeping this thread on-topic, here's a better place for discussing whether you think you need a VPN:
https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/
by danielg4 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:42 pm
kgc wrote:We do not have plans to implement an IPSEC based VPN solution at this time.
I have an alternative proposal: an unencrypted L2TP link to the same network segment where your DHCP server or border router is, so that DHCP requests over it get a *.dsl.dynamic.fusionbroadband.com address, static IP customers can route over it, and in either case, IPv6 traffic over Sonic's 6RD server will work over it, graduating to working native DHCPv6 when you have that. It would also defeat AT&T's or others' QoS and not have any ports blocked. Over a dedicated link such as the FTTN accounts, the encryption doesn't really add any value and costs significant processing overhead, making it unsuitable to run on a home router, unlike simple L2TP. If it works well, maybe you can even deploy it inside your own CPE for FTTN accounts; AT&T U-verse customers are allowed to use any VDSL2 modem they want, just without support, and many do. How about it, folks?
by Guest » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:16 pm
danielg4 wrote:AT&T U-verse customers are allowed to use any VDSL2 modem they want, just without support, and many do. How about it, folks?
I'm not familiar with unencrypted L2TP tunnels but U-verse requires an 802.1x certificate in order to authenticate and use the network and they're only available in AT&T CPEs.
235 posts Page 23 of 24