OpenVPN Open Beta

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
235 posts Page 21 of 24
by pcvcolin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:02 pm
dherr wrote:The main test is to show that you are not "visible" via your AT&T ip address. If speed tests or "what is my IP" stuff shows a Sonic IP then the VPN is working. The DNS servers that you use will get to "see" what you are doing to some degree, so you would want to either use a Sonic name server while using the VPN or something else that you trust.

One big caveat is to consider IPv6. A test:

1. check http://whatismyv6.com/
2. enable vpn
3. check http://whatismyv6.com/

If you get an IPv6 address that is the *same* each time then the VPN is not handling your IPv6 traffic. That was the case when I tested but I can't remember all the details of test to ipsec versus openvpn.

So, my notes for using the two VPN include a note about how to disable IPv6.
See also: https://cryptostorm.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 725#p15184 (has details that work for any OS)
by littlebaboo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:11 pm
Is there a way to access the OpenVPN through SSH or SSL?

I'd like to access it when traveling in China, and OpenVPN is blocked otherwise.
by netllama » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:49 pm
littlebaboo wrote:Is there a way to access the OpenVPN through SSH or SSL?

I'd like to access it when traveling in China, and OpenVPN is blocked otherwise.
No, that's not possible. ssh is not a vpn. ssl is a protocol.
by mediahound » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:42 pm
Does AT&T still even retain our data through U-Verse/Fusion FTTN? I haven't been able to find anything definitive on that.

I know they used to do that through some 'NSA wiring closet' in San Francisco but that was years ago.
by LuW » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:38 pm
I've been getting this message today.

Anyone seen similar error?
"This Access Server has reached its concurrent connections limits. Try again later."

Lu
by craig.langman » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:47 pm
netllama wrote:
littlebaboo wrote:Is there a way to access the OpenVPN through SSH or SSL?

No, that's not possible. ssh is not a vpn. ssl is a protocol.
I think it may be possible, but has to be set up on sonic's side too, at least for ssl. There may be a way to do it using ssh without sonic doing anything, based on this link anyway:

http://www.vpnanswers.com/bypass-great- ... hina-2015/

Tunnelling OpenVPN in China through SSL

Although on its own, a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) is an effective way to maintain online security, it can be used with OpenVPN to add an extra layer of protection in order to completely hide the fact that you are using a VPN and become a ghost able to slide through Data Packet Inspection without any worries. If you are going to use OpenVPN in China through SSL tunnel, you must keep in mind that an additional encryption layer causes your internet connection to slow down. Moreover, since SSL tunnels are created using a multi-platform software, you will need to coordinate with your VPN service provider if you want SSL tunnelling and receive the configuration settings necessary to tunnel OpenVPN in China through SSL.

OpenVPN through SSH tunnel

Another way to effectively use OpenVPN in China is to tunnel your OpenVPN over an SSH protocol. Similarly to tunnelling OpenVPN through SSL, OpenVPN over SSH tunnelling involves wrapping an OpenVPN connection within an additional layer of encryption, but inside a Secure Shell (SSH) encryption instead. OpenVPN in China through an SSH encryption can be carried out either through SSH clients, such as: Putty or automatically which is far more easier through some VPN services which include this feature within their application.
by pratik » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:15 pm
I got FTTN service few days back so planning to use open VPN on my router so everything in house automatically goes through sonic. I've few questions:

1. I've put ATT pace modem in DMZ plus, would that cause any problem?
2. My router is running advanced tomato, does someone have instructions explaining how to
3. Can I use the setup on multiple devices for e.g. on android phone I'll use device specific setup so that it can connect to any WiFi and still be using my sonic connection and would it be a problem if phone is connected to router (both running open VPN).

Thanks
by kgc » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:58 pm
Note that any new users should use the production deployment. Anyone currently using the beta may want to migrate as well.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by forest » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:13 pm
kgc wrote:Note that any new users should use the production deployment. Anyone currently using the beta may want to migrate as well.
Wait, there's a production OpenVPN deployment? Where can I find details? The only production Sonic VPN I know of is the Cisco one, which (at least for some of us) drops sessions even more often than the beta OpenVPN server.
by amayfield » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:15 pm
Yeah, Kelsey announced it earlier this afternoon in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3397
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
235 posts Page 21 of 24