Can static IP's be assigned before Fusion switch over?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by exile » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:36 am
I am presently on legacy DSL line with a static IP. I run servers on this line, including DNS. I want to switch to Fusion.

The catch is, there doesn't seem to be an option that will assign the IP's or even choosing static service before the switch. This means a great deal of unnecessary pain and down time which could be entirely avoided by informing me of the new IP's a couple of days in advance.

Help!
by dane » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:47 pm
No, afraid not. I would suggest setting your DNS TTL to 15 minutes or do to minimize down time.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by exile » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:36 pm
Why? This is such a simple thing on your end and the lack makes a mess on my end.

When the switch happens, the TTL is meaningless because nobody knows how to reach my primary name server and my secondary can not update because it doesn't know how to reach the primary either.

My primary email goes offline. I have to use an alternate email to contact my secondary dns and hope they make the change quickly because until they do, all my services are offline. The primary DNS won't be seen until .org domain change propagates through.

If I have the IP ahead of time, I can setup a record with the new IP far enough in advance that it is already live when the line switches. The secondary can be updated at leisure.

On prior installs, I have been able to get IP's ahead of time. Why is difficult now?
by jleake » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:42 am
They switched the way the ordering process worked when we started offering multiple sizes of IP address blocks so that all connections are ordered as dynamic and can be switched in Member Tools.

You could order the line as a new line with a temporary number and maintain the old DSL connection until you've got everything switched over. Once that was done, you could port the existing DSL number over to us. It does complicate the install process since the new line is likely to need to be connected up to your internal wiring, but it might be worth considering in your case.
Juliana L.
Customer Support, Sonic.net, Inc.
by dane » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:59 am
I would strongly advise against going the route of a new loop. The quality of idle copper is unpredictable, and you are likely to have a much more successful transition by hot-cut of the existing, proven and working pair.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1