Self-Install and Wiring

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Alex » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:56 pm
I am considering switching to Sonic, but have questions about the installation process, especially the self-installation and wiring.

I currently have Internet access with Comcast (so cable) and no AT&T line, but I previously had DSL access with AT&T (1.5 years ago). So I suppose all the wiring is still in place, and I could easily do a self-install by just plugging my DSL modem. Does that sound correct? Or will I need a technician (AT&T or Sonic?) to come to do any wiring?
by zbarr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:04 pm
in my experience comcast techs can really mess up the POTS phone line hookups in the house when installing comcast phone service. if youre not comfortable swapping terminals and doing some phone line troubleshooting, a sonic van roll might not be a bad idea.
btw, have you already checked to see if you can get fusion in your area?
by Alex » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:54 pm
I don't have Comcast phone service, only TV+internet. During the installation, the Comcast tech only connected the cable, he hasn't touched the phone line at all. Note that I cancelled my AT&T DSL subscription after Comcast was installed so, at some point, I had internet access with both AT&T DSL and Comcast; that's why an hopeful that every is (still) in place like it was when I used DSL service with AT&T.

The sonic.net site says I can get fusion, when I check my address it says that my "location is about 2,000 wire feet from our local serving office." I currently have 25Mbps download and 2.4Mbps upload with Comcast (results using the sonic.net speed test), hopefully I can get something similar with Fusion.

If I connected my DSL modem is there a way to test if I can reach the sonic service?
by zbarr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:09 pm
if you had att dsl and phone, with comcast as TV only, youre good to go for sonic dsl or fusion.

@ 2000 feet you should be golden. probably 15-30+Mbps down depending on fusion pakage and line condition. also keep in mind sonic provides "true bandwidth", with traffic no shaping, data caps or deceitful practice of having short bursts of up to 25 Mbs somehow count as actual speed.

no way i know of to test a line with a modem.

what dsl speeds could you get before comcast?

4 posts Page 1 of 1