Changed AT&T Land Number, Lost Sonic DSL Access

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by prefab » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:53 pm
yesterday i changed the phone number on my AT&T land line, which i have never done before, and the AT&T representative said that i should inform my ISP that the phone number is being changed. i found a form on the Sonic webpage indicating that customers should fill it out when they change their phone numbers, so i filled it out & submitted it. now the number has been changed, location & street address of the line is still the same, i have lost access to DSL, and there's an order pending.

i spoke on the phone with a Sonic customer service rep who said AT&T's systems automatically forbid ISPs from touching an AT&T phone line for a few days after the number has been changed, and it could take several days before i regain access to DSL. i called AT&T to ask them what's up with that. AT&T customer service guy claimed that he doesn't know anything about such a policy, and that my problem is a trivial matter which shouldn't take significant time at all to resolve.

looking for further advice, clarification, etc. it's not a matter of life & death to me personally, but naturally there are members of my household breathing down my neck & saying "WHERE'S MY DSL." so if there's any chance that there's a simple mistake somewhere in this and it can be easily fixed, i'd appreciate it.
by gp1628 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:56 am
My sad story, and some other things you might watch out for.
http://69.12.159.137/~gandalf/snafu.txt

Im still ironing out mine. (I cant get the email to work on my server)
by clairet » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:55 pm
I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble! When changing your AT&T phone number, it's unfortunately not a simple "move" of your DSL service. We have to order new DSL service on your new line. Because your old line (by which I mean number) doesn't exist anymore, the DSL is automatically removed from it. Because of this, we have to place a new order which can take 5-10 business days to complete. We have to work with AT&T to activate your service and since it's not a one-sided process, it can take longer to activate your service. Are you in range for Fusion? Fusion only takes 3-5 business days to complete and since it's served from our own equipment, you are not required to maintain an AT&T land line.

In the meantime, we always temporarily set you up with dial-up. Obviously not the greatest option but hey, at least you'll be online! :)
Claire T.
Sonic.net Technical Support
by prefab » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:33 pm
clairet wrote:Are you in range for Fusion?
unfortunately no.
In the meantime, we always temporarily set you up with dial-up. Obviously not the greatest option but hey, at least you'll be online! :)
of course. but i haven't owned any dial-up modems in years. i've got my PCs tethered to my cellphone's "unlimited" wireless data plan by an unsupported method at the moment, and hoping that my cellph provider won't notice & try to clamp down before i get back onto DSL.

thanks for elaborating a little bit upon the hows & whys of the interaction between Sonic and AT&T re: DSL setup. if there wasn't any obvious mistake involved, then at least it puts me a little more at ease if i can understand that this is a typical occurrence (and why it's typical).
by jenny » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:38 am
Just wanted to let you know, I was able to get your order placed this morning, and service should be up by end of business Wed. I'm really glad a due date before the holiday was available. I'll be emailing you with further order details. Thank you for your patience and please let us know if there are any questions or concerns.

Thank you,
Jenny
Jennifer Daly

Supervisor - Billing and Order Processing Team
Sonic.net, Inc
jenny@corp.sonic.net
by prefab » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:30 am
DSL service got activated on my new line on november 23, as you predicted, and seems to be providing approx the same speed & stability that i had before. thanks.

i have noticed something that doesn't look exactly right in my latest monthly receipt, but i'll inquire about that via email.
6 posts Page 1 of 1