Swtiching to Sonic.net from At&t

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by Oprion » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:04 pm
The Sonic website seems to offer an option to switch the phone line and dsl service from the current provider (AT&T) while keeping the current phone number. I am wonder how this works: will I need to notify AT&T after the transaction is finalized and somehow convince them to relinquish control of the number? Will it happen automatically with my account with the current provider dispersed? The whole process seems a bit sketchy.
by wa2ibm » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:38 pm
For Sonic Fusion, that option will, indeed, switch your existing AT&T phone line, phone number, and broadband service over to Sonic.net. AT&T is automatically notified of the "line loss" and will discontinue your phone service and send you a final billing for your service.

When I switched, I had broadband service with a different provider (other than AT&T), and I need to call them to notify them of the loss.

It never hurts to check with your previous provider to ensure they've gotten the word, but whatever you do, DON'T call them before you order service from Sonic. If you should call your existing provider to cancel before you make your order with Sonic, it will result in loss of your service for some time while it's all straightened out.
by oprion » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:05 pm
Ah, thanks, this certainly make matters much more clear.
by bill » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:38 am
But I'm confused because during the Fusion sign-up process they make you select a new telephone number. No option about keeping your old number...
by wa2ibm » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:34 am
When you fill out the pre-qualification page, use your existing phone number instead of your street address. When following through from there to order service, you'll then go through the process to port your old number.
by bill » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:46 pm
Great thanks...
by bgai » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:36 am
I did this about 6 months ago and found it painless in so far as the telephone part worked. And the internet connection began as expected. Sonic's notifications by email kept me informed.
I transferred from DSL Extreme and their cancellation charge was so high that I continued to pay them for a few months even though they were no longer providing anything. DSL Extreme was faster than AT&T, Sonic is faster than DSL Extreme. (they all use the same wires, so I guess it is the ADSL2 that is helping, don't know.)

Fusion works fine for me and I like the ability to access voice messages on-line. BG
7 posts Page 1 of 1