FTTN for business or SOHO? I don't think so...

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
21 posts Page 1 of 3
by gizmos » Sat May 02, 2015 6:31 pm
Right now I have Pro-S DSL that I use for a home office. When I first heard about the FTTN it looked like the greatest thing since sliced bread, but upon further research not so much.

* No static IP option. That's a show stopper right there.
* No way to interface the Fusion VoIP service with an existing Asterisk/SIP phone network.
* There's no guarantee about what ports AT&T will or will not block.
* There's no guarantee AT&T won't cap our bandwidth, as they have famously done in other situations.
* We're stuck with AT&Ts VDSL modem, which there's no guarantee can be operated in bridging mode. That means my router will be stuck behind their NAT router. Sonic can't even tell me what make or model of modem I'll get.
* The actual network, dynamic IP assigned, and routing belong entirely to AT&T. Sonic's routers have nothing to do with it. When it comes to network operations, we're entirely at AT&T's mercy.
* There's no "business" version of FTTN (as there is for traditional DSL) which would remove any of these restrictions.

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but otherwise I just can't see how FTTN is useful.

Bob
by dane » Sat May 02, 2015 7:33 pm
There are no caps. We buy a wholesale enterprise product to build this offering on.

Regarding static IP and Sonic address space, we're working to address this with a new VPN server that'll offer optional static addresses. (Today the VPN feature is dynamic IP only.) You could use this with a hardware VPN client for whole-home VPN if you wanted to.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gizmos » Sat May 02, 2015 8:28 pm
dane wrote: ...we're working to address this with a new VPN server
From another posting you made -
dane wrote:To get a Sonic IP, you'll need to use our VPN feature. It's free. Info here: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/VPN_Service
What dedicated hardware routers are compatible? What's the cheapest Cisco that'll work? Any others like Netgear or Dlink, etc?

Or how about at least writing up a Linux client?

I really don't want to use a Windows machine as my network router!

Bob
by wa2ibm » Sat May 02, 2015 9:01 pm
gizmos wrote: * There's no guarantee about what ports AT&T will or will not block.
I do know that they block outbound port 25 (SMTP).

Bill
by virtualmike » Sat May 02, 2015 10:31 pm
wa2ibm wrote:
gizmos wrote: * There's no guarantee about what ports AT&T will or will not block.
I do know that they block outbound port 25 (SMTP).
Years ago, when AT&T DSL was the only option for me (at a blazing 1.5 Mbps), AT&T's default was to block port 25. However, I was able to have the block lifted by applying online and agreeing that if AT&T detected any spammage from my IP (or received any complaints that could be traced to me), the block would be reinstated. Perhaps AT&T still has that option (which would have to be requested by Sonic, in this case).
by weberm » Mon May 04, 2015 6:45 pm
This upgrade has been a disappointment for me. After working with static IP and getting my systems back to working again, I now have to rethink my ISP alternatives. I am told a VPN solution will be, may be, could be, some day available, but not when or what to expect when if it arrives is anyone's guess for the moment...

Yes this is as good as going back to the AT&T service I discontinued 7 years ago with port 25 blocking, which really doesn't do much for anyone trying to run a mail server or a business on those IPs. No I might have to look at MX hosting for the Domain Name and just a whole mess of IT services I was happy running myself...
by Guest » Tue May 05, 2015 3:02 am
So with the sonic.net FTTN product, port 25 is blocked which means we can't run our own mail servers...
by Guest » Tue May 05, 2015 3:02 pm
I was reading the DSLExtreme TrueStream product which is a resold U-Verse product and it seems port 25 is blocked by default but one can have it unblocked by request, can sonic.net unblock the port 25 on FTTN as well?

Also, for the static IP's, assuming one has a block, what kind of device would one need so that the static IP's would go to a wired ethernet switch so the LAN can take the static IP directly?
by dherr » Tue May 05, 2015 6:55 pm
Ya know... It sounds like one of us should just call support and request to have port 25 opened. I don't think Sonic has replied to any of the posts about this. That said; I don't volunteer since I switched from sendmail using regular port 25 outbound to postfix using a smart host on 587 secured and using the sonic server. I am fine with the new setup.

The call to support should at least get them to fully investigate the options. And then do please report back via these groups so that others know how this can/can't be dealt with.
by Guest » Wed May 06, 2015 2:26 am
Except I would not be one who could do it since I'm still a legacy sonic.net DSL customer and thinking about the FTTN upgrade but with no static IP's option available yet and the potential of the block port 25, I'm having second thoughts. The other thing is my house will be remodeled so I will not even be here for 7-10 months so not even sure if I should wait and see what develops. Someone who has the FTTN product needs to ask support about the port 25 issue on FTTN and see what happens.
21 posts Page 1 of 3