Fusion in San Francisco, CA 94114

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Geoff » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:17 am
I'm considering switching from dslextreme to 20MBps Sonic Fusion and would like to know what speed I might expect.

The very helpful Sonic support says speed is determined by distance from the CO (8,893 ft in my case) as well as line quality (which they cannot predict). Fusion doesn't work past 16,000 ft and they tend to see a significant decrease in speed around 10,000 ft. For my distance, they've seen speeds from 2Mbps-6Mbps. But, since Fusion runs on ADSL2+, they say it'll be just as fast, if not faster than the Pro DSL (so, at least 1.5-3mbps).

Is there anyone out there in the 94114 zipcode that uses Sonic Fusion and can share what speed they are getting?

Thanks in advance.
by dane » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:45 pm
The ZIP code won't help, but the distance is a good indicator. At that distance, based upon the stats for our entire customer base, you're likely to see speeds from 3-8Mbps. It's a wide range, sorry - only way to really know is to make the switch.

But yes, of course, it will be faster than what you have today, but by how much is impossible to say.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:16 am
Hi. I live in 94114, near Sanchez and 22nd. I get 8 or 9 Mbps downstream. I forget the upstream speed.
by viroco » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:41 pm
So I took the plunge. Installation went pretty smoothly, though the Sonic Net configuration information has not been updated for the latest version of Mac OS X, 10.7 (Lion), so a little guesswork was required. TIP: save or print out the Sonic Net configuration information BEFORE your lose your old internet connection!

After some tweaking, I'm now reliably getting between 5.0 and 5.25 Mbps download and around 0.85 Mbps upload. According to Sonic Net support, I have some AM or AM-like noise that is degrading the circuit but this may or may not affect my speed. I'll be seeing if this can be reduced or eliminated in the coming weeks.
4 posts Page 1 of 1