Fusion x2 same as FTTN??

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
37 posts Page 4 of 4
by David » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:35 am
Thanks pockyken, amayfield, and dherr!

I used to have DSL Extreme, but moved away from them because their customer service became really poor and they couldn't provide fast enough speeds at the time. AT&T has sent me tons of notices about FTTN, so I believe it's available for my location.

amayfield: does Sonic make exceptions to the 'no FTTN if Fusion is available' rule, seeing as FTTN is an option from AT&T? Do you know if there's any possibility of changing that policy in general? Just seems like here, quite literally in the middle of the Bay Area, only a half mile from an urban downtown, our only real option for decent speed broadband is Comcast.

Fiber, where are you?
by amayfield » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:35 am
Usually not. The only instances I can think of where we have done that is when the Fusion service was so under performing that it was neigh on unusable. We really prefer folks to be on our Fusion network if at all possible, FTTN is intended for those in areas where we can't get them Fusion.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by Guest » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:55 pm
Hello there!

I'm a new prospective customer. I live in Oakland CA and both my wife and I work from home in a residential zoned apartment building. We are cutting our cable cord to move to Sonic, so we also would watch TV over the internet after work hours, and do our video calling over Skype/Google Hangout (not much of this but I have a few meetings a week). I do a little bit of gaming but not tons. We are switching from Comcast, where we have Performance 25 Internet with a Blast speed boost.

Our primary concern because of our work is internet reliability, and we are willing to pay more if it is reliable; speed is secondary.

Do you think Bonded Fusion or Fusion X2 (both are options in our area) would be better for our needs? Bonded Fusion is $30 more a month than Fusion X2 + an $150 install fee, so I really need to hear that there's a big improvement before paying for it.

Katherine
by parker_day » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:38 pm
Guest wrote:Do you think Bonded Fusion or Fusion X2 (both are options in our area) would be better for our needs? Bonded Fusion is $30 more a month than Fusion X2 + an $150 install fee, so I really need to hear that there's a big improvement before paying for it.
X2 does not have a $150 install fee, but instead does have a 12 month contract that is $150 to break. You also get 30 days to cancel from the day service is started penalty free.

As for whether to go X1 or X2, that really depends on what speeds can be achieved at your distance. If you are less than 3,000ft you shouldn't have any problems with X1 for the use you mention. Past that distance you may want to consider X2. Speed is entirely distance and quality of wiring related, Sonic give you the max possible for your location. You can check your distance and estimated speed on the availability form on the homepage at http://www.sonic.com (here is mine):

Regardless, I'd say give Sonic a try as they are very reliable and you have 30 days to cancel if you find out it doesn't work for you.
by dherr » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:01 pm
If reliability is the primary concern then it seems like you should be thinking about having two services. You might want to look into "multi wan routers". If both of you are working full time from home then it really seems like this should be considered. You would want the two services to share as little as possible, so cable and Sonic might be good in this regard. Your primary "single point of failure" would be power outages but I suspect that generators are not allowed in an apartment.
by amayfield » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:53 am
Hello Katherine,

Bonded Fusion is more expensive because you get two telephone numbers with that service, whereas with Fusion X2 there is only a single phone number. Reliability of service and speeds would be the same on both services. Regarding the question about overall stability - service should be stable and if it's not we'll troubleshoot with you in order to make it stable.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by Guest » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:52 pm
parker_day wrote:... Sonic give you the max possible for your location....
Actually no. They will give you the one which is most profitable to them. They will not offer FTTN at any distance where DSL will give you 10MBps, even if you can get ATT 45MBs VDSL at your location.

"It is a business decision"
37 posts Page 4 of 4