Fusion x2 same as FTTN??

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
37 posts Page 2 of 4
by dane » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:39 pm
Guest wrote:
dane wrote:Fax machines may work, or may not. VoIP and fax often work fine, but sometimes they do not. Same goes for alarm systems. You may choose to retain a copper landline for these if they do not work for you on the VoIP service.
So AT&T would be the provider for the existing copper line then? Or would subscribers be paying Sonic?
Fusion FTTN is AT&T broadband plus Sonic VoIP phone service, for $40 monthly.

You could separately buy a copper voice POTS line from someone, for example AT&T directly, if you had a need for one. I wouldn't recommend this, but some folks need to have a traditional POTS line.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Duncan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:41 pm
dane wrote:
We're all a bit confused. Sorry about that.

Fusion was a very simple product: unlimited phone plus Internet, for $40. It was delivered with ADSL2+, and POTS - "plain old telephone service".

From a pricing and product design perspective, it remains simple: it's still unlimited phone plus Internet, for $40. But now we've got some complexity behind the scenes:

For example, in some locations close to COs, Fusion is now delivered using Sonic VDSL2 equipment, which yields higher speeds. We call this "V2".

We've also launched "X2", which is a feature that bonds two lines, at an additional cost of $20 for the second line, roughly doubling speeds.

But in other locations, generally further from COs, Fusion will soon be delivered using AT&T Fiber-to-the-node (VRAD) cabinets, which can deliver higher speeds to locations where ADSL2+ is too slow. In these locations, telephone service is delivered over-the-top using VoIP. This service is "Fusion FTTN". And again, a faster "X2" variant is offered.
I've mentioned this in a different topic - I think Sonic would save itself and customers a lot of time with a well-designed graphic depiction of the various services, showing simplified diagrams of the CO, direct connections over 'V2', and FTTN connections by way of a VRAD. Also include a second circuit in each case to demonstrate 'X2'.

(Think USA Today meets Edward Tufte, and have a cut-out head of Ted Stevens providing the dialog.)
by dane » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:51 pm
Duncan wrote:I've mentioned this in a different topic - I think Sonic would save itself and customers a lot of time with a well-designed graphic depiction of the various services, showing simplified diagrams of the CO, direct connections over 'V2', and FTTN connections by way of a VRAD. Also include a second circuit in each case to demonstrate 'X2'.

(Think USA Today meets Edward Tufte, and have a cut-out head of Ted Stevens providing the dialog.)
Yes, we've taken this idea and begun to work on a couple concepts. We've sketched out an overhead view idea, as well as a simple linear one. Here's the first draft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqm2r001kk6wg ... 2.png?dl=0

Needs work, but it's a start.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by allenwoo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:15 pm
Dane,

But isnt this map out is unfair for people like me who is around 10k FT? I would rather be able to get FTTN at a much higher speed than ADSL2 but at a further distance. Even with bonded ADSL2 will not be faster than FTTN.... I know fiber to the house is the best solution but that is going to be a long wait ( after 5 years of waiting already).
by Duncan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:19 pm
dane wrote:Yes, we've taken this idea and begun to work on a couple concepts. We've sketched out an overhead view idea, as well as a simple linear one. Here's the first draft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqm2r001kk6wg ... 2.png?dl=0

Needs work, but it's a start.
The cityscape looks a little busy relative to the telco equipment, but yeah, that's kinda what I had in mind. I like the use of the distance 'spheres' to depict the different steps of circuitry involved.

Maybe consider more of an oblique bird's-eye view so you can show the copper/fiber loops spreading out on the ground?
by dane » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:50 pm
I thought about adding a layer of dirt below everything, showing the wires in conduit buried, and then some areas, overhead, etc.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:26 am
dane wrote:Same goes for alarm systems. You may choose to retain a copper landline for these if they do not work for you on the VoIP service.
*** Ah, alarm systems! I have an apartment building with a monitored fire alarm. I am *REQUIRED* to maintain
two land lines for that system. ATT's pricing for these two lines has become quite predatory. I wonder if there is
any work happening at the state fire marshall level to come up with a standard that's NOT landlines?

- Jerry
by Christopher Guest » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:14 am
Guest wrote:I wonder if there is any work happening at the state fire marshall level to come up with a standard that's NOT landlines?
I'm sure the Internet Of Things people would have no problem hooking up fire alarms to the cloud. What could possibly go wrong?
by dane » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:18 am
Under the argument that phone service was adequately competitive, it was deregulated in 2006. Here is what happened: http://m.sfgate.com/technology/dotcomme ... 204388.php
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Christopher Guest » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:43 am
dane wrote:Under the argument that phone service was adequately competitive, it was deregulated in 2006. Here is what happened: http://m.sfgate.com/technology/dotcomme ... 204388.php
Oh, that's just Adam Smith's invisible hand giving us all the finger.
37 posts Page 2 of 4