Sonic performance and options

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
21 posts Page 1 of 3
by ronandpablo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:33 am
Hello,

Ok, I'm going to start by saying I love Sonic and even if I don't like to go with tech support but from all ISPs at least the one that I'm happy to talk is with you guys, at least someone on the other side that has a clue, kudos for that.

Now, here comes the problem. I think it has been for quiet a few months (since 2014) that we have noted drops in connections and very slow connections. We are perhaps not the typical customer out there, if we use the connection, it will be just over the night and perhaps watch 1 or 2 episodes @ Hulu/Netflix, other than that 90% of our usage is through SSH/vim.

We been talking with Sonic and they been running so many tests and everything they say looks fine from their end, on our side we also don't see any big difference with connection speeds. We got the suggestion that perhaps the problem was not the CO, but it was the connection @ our place.. well, we had doubts but we gave it a try, we connected the modem to the main phone box. No joy.

It gets a bit more frustrating specially when you want to get some work done and in the middle of work the connection just hangs or gets really slow. More specially if you are trying to fix an outage.. you guys know what this means.

We been close so many times in just giving up and going with Comcast but I try to avoid just thinking in dealing with them.

When the connection degrades we sometimes just give up and end up tethering via our phones (which by the way gives us 40Megabits/15Megabits, vs 5/0.9 with Sonic), this is not how this is suppose to work.

Now, I keep hearing and reading that Sonic is working on improving the service in a matter of "weeks" or "a couple of months". So lets be honest:

1. We are @ Ingleside, is there a chance that this could be better? If so, "how better" and at what increase ($)?
2. If it can be better, is it something that we can start today? Really if you tell me that this can be done today but because we are old customers it can take a couple of days VS instantly for new users then more than happy to wait at that cost.

Thanks and hoping that there are better alternatives, would really hate to leave you but it is very very frustrating.

As others been saying, for the speed we get, the price does not really match up..

Thanks!
by radi8 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:15 pm
I just talked to them about my DSL speed @ 1.3mbps. (Sorry, no sympathy for your 40mbps, haha!).
So they say they are working on improving service, and rolling out a new Fusion FTTN service which I will be eligible for since they will be canceling my legacy service. Santa Cruz is on deck for the improvements. I'm in Santa Rosa and they don't know when that will be, couldn't even give me a ballpark guess. Their priority is for areas where their contracts are expiring to keep people from losing their service altogether. That is understandable. I don't think any Sonic customers want to go with Comcast, or ATT for that matter. But it is so damn frustrating. I don't know if this has anything to do with your situation, but I'd assume that it must affect overall progress of their expansions and upgrades. I will try to ride it out. If not, I'll come back when they are able to provide competitive service in my neighborhood. You might call sales again and try to get an update from them.
by dane » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:43 am
For those on RTs, or with very long loops, the FTTN (UVerse network) product is coming soon. I'm getting ongoing updates from development, and it looks like a matter of weeks at this point. So, stand by!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by allenk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:55 am
Dane, is there anyway to figure out exactly WHAT I have?? The RT, CO terms are unclear to be or even if I'm near one or behind one. How do I find this out? Availibility tools just states it's unavailable. You had mentioned several weeks ago that my system (Legacy DSL) would have a speed increase within 3 months. Any clearer sign than "Weeks"???
by ronandpablo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:38 pm
dane wrote:For those on RTs, or with very long loops, the FTTN (UVerse network) product is coming soon. I'm getting ongoing updates from development, and it looks like a matter of weeks at this point. So, stand by!
Thanks a lot.

Just after I posted this thread I looked @ sonic.net and says I'm "6631 feet from the CO", with that said what are the best option for my case?

- It seems that I also have the option for X2 but I'm wondering if that would help in overall performance/speed, true I'd seem to have X2 so rather than ~5Mb of downstream I'd get 10?.
- Would FTTN be a help for me based on my distance from the CO? IF so, how much would it help (a 2x, 5x?, etc?).

And last but not least, a "matter of weeks" would it be for full rollout or would that just kick the next stage of "well, now we need to do it by cities/areas" which might end up in more of a "couple of months" :-).

Thanks!
by ronandpablo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:39 pm
allenk wrote:Dane, is there anyway to figure out exactly WHAT I have?? The RT, CO terms are unclear to be or even if I'm near one or behind one. How do I find this out? Availibility tools just states it's unavailable. You had mentioned several weeks ago that my system (Legacy DSL) would have a speed increase within 3 months. Any clearer sign than "Weeks"???
re to the distance from CO I found out that in sonic.net you can find this out.

https://www.sonic.com/availability

Enter your address and it tells you the distance and current options.
by dane » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:40 pm
allenk wrote:Dane, is there anyway to figure out exactly WHAT I have?? The RT, CO terms are unclear to be or even if I'm near one or behind one. How do I find this out? Availibility tools just states it's unavailable. You had mentioned several weeks ago that my system (Legacy DSL) would have a speed increase within 3 months. Any clearer sign than "Weeks"???
You will soon be offered an upgrade to Fusion FTTN. I can't tell you precisely when, or what speed we can deliver there, but it's a top focus item for us and will be complete soon.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by allenk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:31 pm
Master of Vague :D

I guess this with have to do...like most, I can't see leaving Sonic for one of the other two choices but with my household being more "in house" of late, it taxes the bandwidth of my home office. The others are gripping and I'm trying to remain steadfast. The gripping makes "weeks" seem like "months". Although I can't keep this up for much longer.
by dane » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:35 pm
Sorry I can't be precise. We are working hard.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by allenk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:36 pm
re to the distance from CO I found out that in sonic.net you can find this out.

https://www.sonic.com/availability

Enter your address and it tells you the distance and current options.
Unfortunately, when I put my address in, it gives me NO such information. Just says it's not available. Is there a switch that needs to be switched for me to be able to see this?
21 posts Page 1 of 3