Sonic ending my service April 10th

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
26 posts Page 1 of 3
by toolshed51 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:04 am
Got a letter in the mail,

"""
Your existing service with Sonic will end on April 10th, 2015.

Please call us to upgrade your internet service before this date, to avoid a service interruption. Your new internet service will include unlimited and uncapped internet at $40 per month, plus taxes and fees... blah blah blah
"""

As far as I can see, Sonic gutted any information about their residential DSL offerings, is there additional information about this? I was told the new service would be up to 24mbps instead of the current 6. Is this just a ADSL1 to ADSL2+ upgrade?
by rchao » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:24 pm
I got the same letter. I started with Sonic nine years ago. I still have the DSL modem with no wifi.
They said I have to get a new DSL router so I ordered it.
by allenk » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:28 pm
Where are you two located?
by rchao » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:35 pm
I'm in Pasadena CA.
by m2m3 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:44 pm
You should call them and ask them directly.

If you have been checking around the forums, you would have known that they are upgrading their entire system with newer technology and are working with ATT to offer a Fusion service through them as well. I think that you probably have legacy DSL, which Sonic doesn't support anymore.
by allenk » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:49 pm
Well, I have legacy also...been waiting but nothing in the mail at this point. Would love a timeline of conversion in my area.
by toolshed51 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:03 pm
San Diego here.
The sales rep that I had to speak with did not have answers for me, it was "over their head". I was told renting the modem was my only option because its specifically tuned to my line, can't provide my own. I'm currently using a 3COM HomeConnect that Sonic gave me back in the day.
Checked the blog for details on equipment upgrade before posting, and briefly looked at forums, its fairly messy.
The letter is vague as can be, and the sales rep didn't help.
by toolshed51 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:12 pm
An email provided more insight, the new service is called Sonic Fusion FTTN.
by thulsa_doom » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:32 pm
Eventually we won't be doing ADSL1 any more anywhere, but it's starting with portions of California where we have a relatively small user base. We don't want to leave anybody high and dry, so these admittedly alarming messages are going out to affected customers in hopes of swinging folks over to FTTN with minimal or no downtime.

If you're on a legacy ADSL1 connection and haven't received a scary note from us about April, you should be fine.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by wa2ibm » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:32 pm
thulsa_doom wrote:If you're on a legacy ADSL1 connection and haven't received a scary note from us about April, you should be fine.
So, when I do receive my "scary note", will that mean that you'll be prepared to offer me static Sonic IPs via FTTN instead of my R/T supplied ADSL1? :-)
26 posts Page 1 of 3