List of compatible modems for Fusion X2 pair bonded service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
120 posts Page 3 of 12
by m2m3 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:23 pm
digitalbitstream wrote:
dane wrote:I recommend members use the equipment we supply. YMMV with anything else.
You speak with a forked tongue. On one side of the tongue customers can "bring their own equipment",
on the other side they really can't.

Offer us a buyout option: sell your loyal advanced customers a suitable bridge with no inside wiring plan, for a fixed price. You'd have a new Fusion X2 customer today, if you changed this silly rental policy.
Anything other Sonic approved equipment is considered nonstandard; as such, troubleshooting with such equipment makes it more difficult for tech support since part of troubleshooting is done using the modem itself which has firmware specifically customized for Sonic.

From Sonic's POV, the policy is not silly if you look at it as insurance, which is what it amounts to. Insurance has no real payoff if you never have to use it except that you can feel safe that you have it if something does go wrong. I'm stating the obvious, here. When I had ATT U-verse, I did have the option for inside wiring and it costs about as much as what Sonic is charging.

I can see your point on some kind of buyout; but, if you desire that, don't complain if have a problem that can't be resolved without a technician coming to your door. Just one visit could cost you more than one year of rental. Look at it that way. If you are able to do your own troubleshooting, then the rental fee makes no sense, unless you just like to save the few $ per month.
by digitalbitstream » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:06 pm
parker_day wrote:
digitalbitstream wrote:
dane wrote:I recommend members use the equipment we supply. YMMV with anything else.
You speak with a forked tongue. On one side of the tongue customers can "bring their own equipment",
on the other side they really can't.
That's not what he said at all. They can't guarantee user supplied equipment will work as intended, which makes sense with all the different equipment that is out there and how difficult it can be to configure some modems to work.
Even Comcast - terrible Comcast - produces a list of compatible modems. Sonic does not.
by virtualmike » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:28 pm
digitalbitstream wrote:Even Comcast - terrible Comcast - produces a list of compatible modems. Sonic does not.
Though Comcast will refuse to provide any support for the line if there's a customer-provided modem. Even worse, when service is terminated, Comcast will claim it owns the modem and demand it be returned or paid for.
by digitalbitstream » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:02 am
virtualmike wrote:
digitalbitstream wrote:Even Comcast - terrible Comcast - produces a list of compatible modems. Sonic does not.
Though Comcast will refuse to provide any support for the line if there's a customer-provided modem. Even worse, when service is terminated, Comcast will claim it owns the modem and demand it be returned or paid for.
Comcast demanding a return modem is an error, not a policy.
Sonic claiming that X2 allows customer equipment, but then not actually identifying any such equipment, is a policy.
Sonic's using the playbook of hidden fees with this modem rental policy.
by Guess » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:25 pm
digitalbitstream wrote:
virtualmike wrote:
Comcast demanding a return modem is an error, not a policy.
Sonic claiming that X2 allows customer equipment, but then not actually identifying any such equipment, is a policy.
Sonic's using the playbook of hidden fees with this modem rental policy.
All the time you have spent to post your complain here multiply to your hourly rate is probably darn more than $5/month already :)
Please stop spaming the forum same rental fee. We here enough IMO
Thanks
by brockfansler » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:28 pm
So....

Can I buy a Pace 5168 and use it on Sonic? If it's AT&T badged/flashed then it won't function right?
by digitalbitstream » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:18 pm
Guess wrote:All the time you have spent to post your complain here multiply to your hourly rate is probably darn more than $5/month already :). Please stop spaming the forum same rental fee. We here enough IMO
Thanks
That's $5/month into infinity.
It's not the fee itself that's the problem, it's Sonic hiding the fee.

If there are no compatible modems, then Sonic should just fess up, and say that x2 requires modem rental and inside wiring coverage period. Don't pretend it's otherwise.
by Guest » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:43 am
digitalbitstream wrote:
Guess wrote:All the time you have spent to post your complain here multiply to your hourly rate is probably darn more than $5/month already :). Please stop spaming the forum same rental fee. We here enough IMO
Thanks

If there are no compatible modems, then Sonic should just fess up, and say that x2 requires modem rental and inside wiring coverage period. Don't pretend it's otherwise.
As I am in the process of getting FTTN, I feel the need to debunk.
For FTTN, AT&T provides the modem which is custom-configured for your circuit, as part of the installation process. An off-the-shelf modem will not work unless an AT&T tech touches it as part of the installation process.

Up until recently, I had a legacy DSL connection. After having significant issues with my line ( an AT&T, in the street issue), last year I opted in to the rental program. The ability for Sonic Support to remotely check my modem status has been invaluable.

Sonic has been above board about this. If they could provide support & specifications for a purchased modem, they would in a heart beat.
by Guest » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:52 am
Guest wrote:As I am in the process of getting FTTN, I feel the need to debunk.
For FTTN, AT&T provides the modem which is custom-configured for your circuit, as part of the installation process.
You're debunking the wrong thing. This thread, "List of compatible modems for Fusion X2 pair bonded service", is about modems for Fusion X2, not FTTN.
by dane » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:45 am
digitalbitstream wrote:
Thanks

There must be other compatible equipment, we are not doing anything non-standard. For your reference, Sonic Fusion X2 uses either ADSL2, ADSL2+ or VDSL2 technology up to profile 17a, and either ATM or PTM transport, and either G.Bond or PTM bonding. The specific config depends upon distance, CO capability and allocated port inventory and capabilities.

Our Pace 5168 modem handles all of these technologies seamlessly, and also integrates with our support systems for troubleshooting and remote update. Members renting this equipment receive end-to-end support, from WiFi in the home to their household wiring. They do not pay for advanced replacement of failing equipment, nor any technician visits by Sonic or AT&T, regardless of where the trouble is found.

You can opt out and use your own equipment, but I can't cite a specific make and model alternatives that will support all of these technologies. We have done no testing with any equipment other than the Pace gear. I've seen some discussion about FritzBox, TPLink, ZyXel or Comtrend equipment, but don't know what model might work.

If you have your own equipment, we cannot provide the same full end-to-end support for your connection, and if we dispatch and the issue is beyond the MPOE, it would result in a fee.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
120 posts Page 3 of 12