List of compatible modems for Fusion X2 pair bonded service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
120 posts Page 2 of 12
by Guest » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:22 am
ryanca wrote:I had to use my modem (which was very difficult to find) for physical connectivity as well as the AT&T 2wire CPE so that the AT&T hardware could do 802.1x auth. It's highly impractical to set up, but it does avoid going through their lousy NAT.
Yeah we get it. You're leet and have a one-of-a-kind setup...
by ryanca » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:28 am
dane wrote:We did send it and you did receive it? It's supposed to arrive before the X2 config kicks in, and it supports not bonded and single line, so as long as you swap that in as soon as you get it, there will be not interruption.
Yeah, I got the 5168N last week, but hadn't connected it because I knew that the second pair wasn't physically connected at the MPOE or my phone jack. I got a call from support and they wanted me to try it anyway despite me telling them this. I didn't get a clear answer why, but it seemed like the goal was to verify I (a customer with unknown technical competence - I worked in IT for a decade, I understand) was correct and a truck roll was actually required. They stayed on the phone with me until I was online in bridge mode again, but they seemed surprised that my other modem didn't work after the X2 config was activated.
by ryanca » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:39 am
Guest wrote:
ryanca wrote:I had to use my modem (which was very difficult to find) for physical connectivity as well as the AT&T 2wire CPE so that the AT&T hardware could do 802.1x auth. It's highly impractical to set up, but it does avoid going through their lousy NAT.
Yeah we get it. You're leet and have a one-of-a-kind setup...
To the best of my knowledge, I am the only person to have ever gotten this to work reliably. I wrote up some of the details on DSLReports if you're interested.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r265230 ... DSL2-modem

I actually ended up buying the necessary VDSL2 modem from the guy who posted this other thread because I couldn't find anywhere online to buy one from.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r224238 ... VDSL-modem
by Guest » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:57 pm
ryanca wrote:To the best of my knowledge, I am the only person to have ever gotten this to work reliably. I wrote up some of the details on DSLReports if you're interested.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r265230 ... DSL2-modem

I actually ended up buying the necessary VDSL2 modem from the guy who posted this other thread because I couldn't find anywhere online to buy one from.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r224238 ... VDSL-modem
Thanks. I appreciate the info. You're still leet for having the setup working and sharing.
by Guest » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:11 am
Possibility of picking up ATT U-Verse modem and reflashing it with Sonic provisioning?
by ryanca » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:54 pm
Guest wrote:Possibility of picking up ATT U-Verse modem and reflashing it with Sonic provisioning?
Not likely to work - I don't think you can even get to the firmware upgrade screen without a maintenance password.
by digitalbitstream » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:29 pm
dane wrote:I wouldn't recommend that Zhone unit, it doesn't support PTM, nor VDSL2 nor does it offer WiFi that's fast enough for a what a bonded connection can deliver. A minimum of 802.11N 2x2 400mw is suggested.
So what DO you recommend?
The current Sonic policy is a recipe for having a dozen crazy different types of equipment on the network.
by dane » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:31 pm
digitalbitstream wrote:
dane wrote:I wouldn't recommend that Zhone unit, it doesn't support PTM, nor VDSL2 nor does it offer WiFi that's fast enough for a what a bonded connection can deliver. A minimum of 802.11N 2x2 400mw is suggested.
So what DO you recommend?
The current Sonic policy is a recipe for having a dozen crazy different types of equipment on the network.
I recommend members use the equipment we supply. YMMV with anything else.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:39 pm
dane wrote:I recommend members use the equipment we supply. YMMV with anything else.
You speak with a forked tongue. On one side of the tongue customers can "bring their own equipment",
on the other side they really can't.

Offer us a buyout option: sell your loyal advanced customers a suitable bridge with no inside wiring plan, for a fixed price. You'd have a new Fusion X2 customer today, if you changed this silly rental policy.
by parker_day » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:11 pm
digitalbitstream wrote:
dane wrote:I recommend members use the equipment we supply. YMMV with anything else.
You speak with a forked tongue. On one side of the tongue customers can "bring their own equipment",
on the other side they really can't.
That's not what he said at all. They can't guarantee user supplied equipment will work as intended, which makes sense with all the different equipment that is out there and how difficult it can be to configure some modems to work.

The first thing Sonic techs do when a user is having a problem is get them a known-working modem. This makes troubleshooting easier and if there is a problem with the line, they can get to that conclusion faster. People who aren't tech savvy probably shouldn't be bringing their own modems anyways.
120 posts Page 2 of 12