List of compatible modems for Fusion X2 pair bonded service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
120 posts Page 9 of 12
by dane » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:39 pm
We operate both A2+ and V2 interfaces, and only the latter support PTM.

The only way to quickly get to the bottom of this will be to obtain CPE from Sonic and see if that resolves the issue. If it does, you've discovered some challenge with the Actiontec. If it doesn't, we can fully engage in end-to-end troubleshooting of your loops, including tech dispatches if needed. But with the Actiontec in place, we have to assume an interop or config issue with that gear, as it's never been tested in our environment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by guest » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:31 pm
Thanks Dane, given the fact that interop qualification doesnt exist for this modem with your service, i went back and wiped the config to default and reconfigured everything from scratch. that seemed to point to an issue with the Actiontec itself, naturally. I'll monitor how it does for a while. if it gets flaky again, i will consider changing to a different modem type for which you have interop

thanks
by gtwrek » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:57 pm
All,

I'm tagging on to this thread to let others know my experience with setting up my "bring your own modem" with Fusion X2 NOT FTTN) service. And hopefully get a little help.

I'm long customer from Sonic, and currently have a purchased from Sonic Zyxel DSL modem/Router. I'm currently configured with a Static IP, and the router is serving as a DSL Modem/NAT/DHCP server. Wireless is turned off.

From what I can gather (mostly from this thread, and poking around) - since I'm an older customer, I'm ATM ADSL (Not VDSL/PTM). G.Bond for the DSL Bonding.

The Zyxel is dying. Based on recomendations in this thread, I purchased the KW5225, and applied the firmware update.

I'm now trying to configure things to work on my Sonic Fusion X2 line. But, silly me, I'm trying to change 2 things at once. I'd like the KW5225 to just serve as a modem. I want to do my NAT/DHCP on my own (this isn't really relevant now, but noting anyway)

I however, haven't found the special sauce yet to get the Kasda to connect me to the internet. I understand as Dane says my support will be limited with "bring my own modem" but other in this thread have got this to work, and I'm hoping to do so as well. I'm hoping someone here can help with the various settings.

I'm setting an the Layer2 interface as ATM VPI0, VCI 35 (this matches the Zyxel). I select Path0 (Fast), and Path1 (Interleaved)

For "DSL Link Type" I have options of EoA, PPPoA, or IPoA. Reading, up it appears EoA is correct. ("EoA is for PPPoE, IPoE, and Bridge).

Encapsulation is set to LLC/Snap-Bridging (Again, matches the Zyxel)
Service: UBR Without PCR

With these settings, the Kansa indicates DSL line synchronization.

Next up is "WAN Service config". Here's where I'm thinking I'm going wrong. I have available "PPP over Ethernet", "IP Over Ethernet", or "Bridging"

I've tried both "IP Over Ethernet" and "Bridging", but no matter what I do, I get no internet connectivity.

When I try "IP Over Ethernet" I need to give the modem my Static IP, gateway, DNS, etc.

When I try "Bridging", this information is only entered into my Laptop Ethernet config (my test setup).

For either case, when I finish the config, I reconfigure the laptop Ethernet to my static IP and Gateway, ... and no dice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
by gtwrek » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:38 pm
For what it's worth I got this working this morning with the settings above, and "WAN Service config" set to "Bridging".
Not sure what's different this morning. Probably some dumb mistake done between keyboard and chair. ;)

Now that this is up, I wondering if I called up Sonic support and asked to be upgraded to VDSL (since the Kasda supports it), I might get a bit more BW?

Regards,

Mark
by Guest » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:50 am
So would this modem be compatible with current fusion x2 fttn service in California?
http://www.zhone.com/products/6729-W1/
by smjones » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:40 am
This thread really went all over the map in 22 months. Let's summarize: The following modems/routers are said to work with Sonic xDSL Fusion X2:

Actiontec V2000H Reported working but possibly some (unrelated?) line issues

Kasda KW5225 Reported here and elsewhere; may require firmware update
Kasda KW5226 Reported working; may require firmware update

Zhone 6728-W1 Reported working
Zhone 6729-W1 (No reports for X2, just X1 - but it's just a 6728 with WiFi...)

Speculative: Actiontec C2000A. It has the right specs, and explicitly includes bonding as opposed to related VDSL models, e.g. C1000A. Edit: Subsequently I got a C2000A, and it's working. See next post.

There was mention in this thread of the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 D7000 as having worked, but Netgear's spec sheet explicitly says it "does not support bonded VDSL."
Sonic DSL customer since 2005; previously Speakeasy, PSI (ISDN), back to 24x7 dialup PPP in 1994...
by smjones » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:34 am
Tonight I swapped out the Sonic-supplied Pace 5268AC and swapped in an Actiontec C2000A, hardware revision 3B, firmware version "CAH005-31.30L.85". It works, I'm posting this through that C2000A. Your mileage may vary. ;)

It's a random CenturyLink unit purchased on eBay. :shock: Reset to factory defaults, then under Advanced Settings, in the WAN Settings screen, I originally selected "Transparent Bridging" for the "ISP Setting" option. When I hooked the modem up it achieved sync on both DSL lines, but wouldn't pass packets. I went back into WAN Settings and selected "Transparent Bridging 0/35" - I assume to get the VPI/VCI set correctly. When I applied that change, my pfSense firewall resumed passing IPv4 and IPv6 traffic.

The C2000A claims the copper loops are 4,000-4,300 feet - point being I'm well outside the high-speed VDSL range, so I can't speak to that for either unit. The "DSL Mode" is reported as "ADSL2+Bonding", and I'm at about the same speeds as the Pace with 20+Mbps down and 2.5+ Mbps up.
Sonic DSL customer since 2005; previously Speakeasy, PSI (ISDN), back to 24x7 dialup PPP in 1994...
by tyrodom3 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:56 pm
I just received a new Actiontec T2200M bonded DSL modem from NCIX.COM ,
a Canadian retailer. Cost: US$54.00 including shipping (no tax). At that good
price, if it won't work with Sonic, no big deal. The modem is configured for
Telus, a large Canadian provider. I didn't find a manual on the Internet. For
service-provider products like this, Actiontec refers all requests for documentation
or firmware to the service provider.

I expect to try it with a friend's bonded Sonic Fusion service in a day or two. It
might work instantly, but I doubt it. So I've attached images of three key screens
in the modem's admin interface.

Please take a look and suggest any changes that might help. Also, if some key
settings aren't covered in these three pages, I could locate those settings and post
the relevant page here.
Actiontec T2200M - DSL Settings.png
Actiontec T2200M - DSL Settings.png (117.92 KiB) Viewed 29447 times
Actiontec T2200M - DSL Advanced Settings.png
Actiontec T2200M - DSL Advanced Settings.png (101.88 KiB) Viewed 29447 times
Actiontec T2200M - Bonding Capability.png
Actiontec T2200M - Bonding Capability.png (108.13 KiB) Viewed 29447 times
by tyrodom3 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:37 pm
A follow-up to the my post immediately above:

When I attached the Actiontec T2200M to Sonic bonded DSL, it did
work immediately.

http://speedtest.sonic.net gives results of 13.5 Mbps down and 2.5 Mbps
up. This is about half the speed that Sonic's 5268ac gets on that same
two cable pairs. The lines are not unbonded.

Can you think of a setting in the modem that might cause the speed to
be half of what the bonded service is capable of?
by FusionUser » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:11 pm
I just got a used Actiontec C2000A branded for CenturyLink. It worked out of the box without any configuration. The only problem that I saw was that I had to renew the internet connection because it fails after initial powerup. Just go to Quick Setup and click on "renew" button. The speeds are the same as with my Zyxel modem.
120 posts Page 9 of 12