List of compatible modems for Fusion X2 pair bonded service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
120 posts Page 8 of 12
by dane » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:14 pm
"Disable the wireless by browsing to http://gateway.sonic.net, navigating to the wireless settings page (Settings -> LAN -> Wireless), and unchecking "Enable Wireless Interface". Once complete click save."
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by falk7jx3 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:36 pm
OK, for the record, I installed a "Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Model D7000" purchased from the local Best Buy and it worked right out of the box. When the setup wizard asked who my service provider was, I answered "AT&T" and it took care of the rest.

Speedtest.net is reporting 17.3 Mbps down and 1.2 Mbps up.
by charliechrisman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 am
Is it possible for Sonic to supply just a DSL modem and pay a lower monthly CPE fee? I have a high end router/wireless gateway that I like very much and would rather use, but it seems pointless to use the Pace 5268AC modem/router supplied by Sonic as just a DSL bridge. Waste of resources/electricity IHMO...

Also what is the 100Mbps down/60Mbps up service that one poster has? Said it was Sonic X2 VDSL. How do I check if I can get that?
by Guest » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:19 pm
charliechrisman wrote:Also what is the 100Mbps down/60Mbps up service that one poster has? Said it was Sonic X2 VDSL. How do I check if I can get that?
Call support. People outside Sonic don't have access to their tools. You need to be very close to the CO to get uncapped VDSL2. If you're too far away and only qualify for Sonic Fusion (resold AT&T U-verse) you will be capped to a maximum of 50 Mbps down/5 Mbps up.
by Guest » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:26 pm
Guest wrote:If you're too far away and only qualify for Sonic Fusion (resold AT&T U-verse) you will be capped to a maximum of 50 Mbps down/5 Mbps up.
That should read "only qualify for Sonic Fusion FTTN (resold AT&T U-verse)."
by kieran » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:58 pm
charliechrisman wrote:Is it possible for Sonic to supply just a DSL modem and pay a lower monthly CPE fee? I have a high end router/wireless gateway that I like very much and would rather use, but it seems pointless to use the Pace 5268AC modem/router supplied by Sonic as just a DSL bridge. Waste of resources/electricity IHMO...
+1 on that request. I really like my router, and even if I replace it, the router is what's important to me to have flexibility / features / power user toys. The modem/bridge is more or less a "dumb" box. Don't care as much if that is forced on me.
Also what is the 100Mbps down/60Mbps up service that one poster has? Said it was Sonic X2 VDSL. How do I check if I can get that?
Sonic's 5mps upstream speed is what keeps me at bay. I wish they could offer something closer to 10 mbps up. U-Verse and Sonic FTTN both report 12mbps available to me down, I'm assuming that could be 24-ish mbps down with X2. That would be acceptable, but the upstream is painfully slow. I have a server and access it a lot while travelling, so need decent upstream speeds... :(
by malank » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:36 pm
Hi all,

I know this thread is a little old, but it's in need of an update. I just got a KW5225 from Amzn for $100. It synced with both pairs at full speed (same as the Pace).

It took me a while to dig through all the advanced options, but just do the quick setup, select VDSL, IPoE, and put in a static address if you have one. Should be good to go from that point.

EDIT: Like another poster on the forums, I found I was actually getting low upload throughput since the FW on the modem is from 2013. I used the firmware from that poster.

http://malank.users.sonic.net/KW5225_update_151112
by utilika » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:12 pm
I flouted Dane’s advice, partly because Sonic customer support personnel seem undecided as to the reality of end-to-end support, except in detached single-family dwellings. For the masses who live in multifamily structures, it isn’t very compelling to be told “maybe we will and maybe we won’t service your wiring”. So I purchased a Zhone 6728-W1 modem (best price was at Provantage). Configuring it was pretty easy, but only because of user contributions to this forum, since there’s no Zhone model in the list of equipment setup instructions. Anyway, the trick is to go to the WAN Service subsection of the Advanced Setup section, select and remove every existing service, and create a new one, with “Bridging” selected. In my case, it was ATM rather than PTM that succeeded. I believe that’s all, and that bonding is auto-configured, but I had previously specified bonding elsewhere in the interface anyway, so I’m not sure of that.

However, I’m not singing Zhone’s praises, because its documentation is inconsistent. Its quick setup guide gives nonsense as the username/password, so you need to go to the full user guide to find that on page 33, where you are told it’s “admin” for the username and “adminXXXXXX” for the password, where you replace “XXXXXX” with the last 6 digits of the serial number. Moreover, the user guide tells you how to use the quick setup of the web interface, but in fact there is no such section, so you have to use the advanced-setup section.
by ngufra » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:09 am
Glad it worked out for you!

I agree that Zhone webUI is not perfect.
And they don't officially support their products themselves, asking you talk to your ISP instead.

-Francois
by Guest » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:42 pm
I have been using the Actiontec V2000h modem with my Sonic ADSL service in single port mode for a few years now and it had been working very robustly for a few years now. I am roughly 11kft from the CO and achieve a ~9Mbps train rate. The service is configured as ATM-TC. Throughput numbers have always been very solid after accounting for ATM and TCP overhead (~82% of train rate).

Recently I upgraded to X2 and opted to keep my Actiontec and enable the second port for bonding. My experience unfortunately as not been as good as single line performance.

While I am able to achieve a 20Mbps train rate on the bonded link (Line 1: 9Mbps Line 2: 11Mbps), my throughput has been all over the place. While my train rate stays rock solid, my throughput goes from ~16Mbs down to 2Mbps even thought the train rate stays at 20Mbps.

I tried calling into tech support and they tried a looking at a number of things including per line SNR, errors, reverting to single line etc, , even provisioning the lines with a train rate cap in order to increase SNR and the service never recovered.

I even tried replacing with a bonded Comtrend modem I had and got the same results, good train rate bad throughput.

Having exhausted the suggestions from the SONIC tech, I tried my own troubleshooting to determine if it was an in house wiring issue.

After a few days, throughput went back to normal (why? who knows?) Everything worked fine for about a month adn just yesterday everything went to crap again. On the SONIC Speedtest site, i will get 2Mbps on a 20Mbps train rate. I am getting very frustrated and seriously considering reverting back to single line service since i am not getting any benefit of the second pair. I would call back in, but the techs dont seem willing to consider that it could be a SONIC issue on the DSLAM, the uplink port being saturated or with provisioning. Knowing a little bit about DSL i asked if they could reconfigure me for PTM mode in ADSL service type to get better throughput and the tech told me that only VDSL supports PTM mode. :-(. When i corrected him (I know which DSLAM SONIC uses and which chipsets), he just restated that he didnt think it was possible for my line. I need the extra bandwidth but this has not been a good option for me. Given the widely adopted nature of the Actiontec with ADSL bonded service at other service providers against this very DSLAM, I really doubt it's a CPE interop issue, but cant get anywhere with it.

Open to any suggestions from the forum to get this thing working beter
120 posts Page 8 of 12